Smart Car of America Forum banner

Kids in your smart car?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  m3659990 
#1 ·
I have a one year old and I am not sure I want to sell my car. Anyone have have their kids in their smart? Any Californians knowledgeable about the laws ?

#2 · (Edited)
Confirm with your state and local law.

The generic answer seems to be that this is ok.

• Child must be in a child restraint until at least age 8 (this is different pretty much across the board, some by age, some weight, some maybe both)
  • If a child is still rear facing they must be in the back seat. If a vehicle does not have a back seat, any passenger side air bags must be disabled.
If a child is forward facing, they are allowed in the front seat (so long as they are properly restrained).

If a child is rear facing, they are only allowed in the front seat only if you do not have rear seats and then you must disable any air bags.

Again confirm with your State and Local law for 2 seat passenger cars and pick up trucks child seat restrictions.

#5 ·
Original post from 2018

When younger, I’d never let my small daughter sit in a car seat. In the smart car. We have larger Cars with a back seat. Way safer. That could be hurt from a front air bag. Smaller children Belong in the back seat car seat facing backwards.

check the smart car owners manual
For correct car seat harnessing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.