Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The range is 80 miles
charges on 220 in 3-4 hours, no DC fast charge
black and green color that looks great wont be offered.
other than that was not impressed, did not even take a picture
120 miles and DC fast charge would be a great upgrade
Will go and take a test drive when it comes out
Same plexiglass room with cover, No solar roof option.
Nothing that says, Wow we learned something and we changed the game.
looking forward to what other say
PS I drove version 1 for three years.
It was fun but when the lease was done I did not look into keeping it
Wanted more from this release.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,755 Posts
The range is 80 miles
charges on 220 in 3-4 hours, no DC fast charge
black and green color that looks great wont be offered.
Ten years and four generations later, Daimler has done little to improve ED (2007 range, 68 miles) while the competitors continue to bring it . . .

And to not offer that awesome black/green color scheme is something less than smart?

Our MY15 ED 451 lease has "go back" all over it as I no longer see much reason to "trade up" to an ED 453? :shrug:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'll check out the new one when it's available, but based on all we know, I still expect to keep my 451 forever. Well as long as the battery lasts...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dunno, convertible fun car vs family practical car (as the second car in both cases) is a legitimate argument among many households.

I am glad to see the 453 has both a charging indicator light and 6.6kW charging ability, this is an improvement. But I don't think that MB has much reason to bring greater than 100mi range to this city car platform. The car is expensive enough as it is, would you pay another $6k to get to 120 miles? And even more for DC charging?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Is anybody surprised? It's the same battery size as its predecessor at 17.6 kWh. Getting 12 additional miles means it's more efficient. The steering rack, suspension, and seats are vastly superior to the prior model. So the car is more solid and comfortable. The steering wheel volume controls, cruise control, and Bluetooth plus phone cradle (optional) means the telematics and entertainment is capable of just about everything most drivers would want the car to do as far as entertainment. Very little gets more advanced than streaming music via phone or YouTube Red or Pandora, etc,.

The smart EV is still a great car for most commuters. It's now legitimately comfortable enough, legitimately convenient and responsive enough, to be on par with or even exceed the comfort levels while daily commuting in large family sedans. The smart 451 had a punishing ride quality over poor road surfaces. The smart 453 suspension has largely eliminated punishing effects over poor roads. Add in the instant torque, hush hush operation of the EV motor, and the smoothness only electric cars bring and it's an easy winner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is anybody surprised? It's the same battery size as its predecessor at 17.6 kWh. Getting 12 additional miles means it's more efficient. The steering rack, suspension, and seats are vastly superior to the prior model. So the car is more solid and comfortable. The steering wheel volume controls, cruise control, and Bluetooth plus phone cradle (optional) means the telematics and entertainment is capable of just about everything most drivers would want the car to do as far as entertainment. Very little gets more advanced than streaming music via phone or YouTube Red or Pandora, etc,.

The smart EV is still a great car for most commuters. It's now legitimately comfortable enough, legitimately convenient and responsive enough, to be on par with or even exceed the comfort levels while daily commuting in large family sedans. The smart 451 had a punishing ride quality over poor road surfaces. The smart 453 suspension has largely eliminated punishing effects over poor roads. Add in the instant torque, hush hush operation of the EV motor, and the smoothness only electric cars bring and it's an easy winner.
Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner!

I still feel like the 453's trying to be a Fiat 500 a little too hard. But these are all things I noticed about the gasoline loaner while my electric was in for its battery check. The 453 is more of a normal person car, where the 451 was really an enthusiasts car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts