Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Smart For two.
I purchased it from Denver's only dealer in 2017. I also purchased a 7 year warranty.
Now, because they don't sell the Smarts anymore, the Mercedes Benz dealer is treating me like a third class citizen. Dealer is in Westminster, Co. Is anyone else having issues with service? My car has about 16,000 miles.
They are shorten the available service, but they have no plans to certify a shop. My warranty extends to 2023.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,257 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! Unfortunately, you are now a member of the "Orphan Car Owners Club"....It's too bad Westminster has bailed on you - they were involved in the 2013 smart Nationals and made a few sales from that event. Their service manager at the time was very good. At this point, your best bet is to find a local independent shop that does a lot of Mercedes work and has the necessary Mercedes STAR computer. Routine service can be done by any good shop, but anything involving the computer systems on the car will require the STAR computer. BTW, it's most likely your "extended warranty" is actually a service contract - you may be able to use it to get service at any repair shop, depending on how it's worded. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to SCoA! Unfortunately, you are now a member of the "Orphan Car Owners Club"....It's too bad Westminster has bailed on you - they were involved in the 2013 smart Nationals and made a few sales from that event. Their service manager at the time was very good. At this point, your best bet is to find a local independent shop that does a lot of Mercedes work and has the necessary Mercedes STAR computer. Routine service can be done by any good shop, but anything involving the computer systems on the car will require the STAR computer. BTW, it's most likely your "extended warranty" is actually a service contract - you may be able to use it to get service at any repair shop, depending on how it's worded. :)
I will check it out
Thank you! I will check it out!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I believe the Mercedes dealer is obligated to provide warranty service for the remainder of your 4 year warranty - at least that’s what I was told by my dealer when they stopped selling new smarts. Perhaps not for the extended warranty though. As stated above, check if the extended warranty is actually a Mercedes warranty or an aftermarket warranty through an independent warranty company.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I understand that Mercedes may have to honor the warranty on the smart. Does that mean that that it has to be that particular dealership?
What happens when dealerships are sold or go out of business. Remember dealerships in US are privately owned business they aren't owned by any auto manufacturer they buy their cars from the factory.
Mercedes may still honor the warranty but it may have to be at the next closest certified smart Mercedes dealership.
The original post seems to be a bit muddled.
It was never stated that the dealership was denying service to the car, just that the member was being treated as a third class citizen.
I'm also a little confused about the shorten service hours I understand during covid-19 places have shortened service hours.
Perhaps their smart Certified mechanic quit was fired or for some reason is longer there and they actually have to bring another Certified mechanic in from another place.
It will be interesting to find out how this unfolds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that Mercedes may have to honor the warranty on the smart. Does that mean that that it has to be that particular dealership?
What happens when dealerships are sold or go out of business. Remember dealerships in US are privately owned business they aren't owned by any auto manufacturer they buy their cars from the factory.
Mercedes may still honor the warranty but it may have to be at the next closest certified smart Mercedes dealership.
The original post seems to be a bit muddled.
It was never stated that the dealership was denying service to the car, just that the member was being treated as a third class citizen.
I'm also a little confused about the shorten service hours I understand during covid-19 places have shortened service hours.
Perhaps their smart Certified mechanic quit was fired or for some reason is longer there and they actually have to bring another Certified mechanic in from another place.
It will be interesting to find out how this unfolds.
The dealer is not rejecting the warranty or the service, They claim reduced service because they don't sell the car any longer. The car is at the dealer since Wednesday the 14th. But they say it will take several days. They are the only dealer in Colorado. The car is due for a service. Just routine change of fluids.
I used to be able to wait for it. Today is the 17th, and yesterday they said they haven't even look at it yet.
I have a second vehicle, but the dealer is 45 miles away.
Irma

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
You don’t have to take the car there, for basic Maintance. MB dealerships, are why over priced. That can be performed anywhere, not a warranty issue.

If you bought a aftermarket auto warranty. Any good qualified independent service center, can work on your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don’t have to take the car there, for basic Maintance. MB dealerships, are why over priced. That can be performed anywhere, not a warranty issue.

If you bought a aftermarket auto warranty. Any good qualified independent service center, can work on your car.
I am in Ft Collins, Colorado and I haven't found a shop that knows how to work on them. I will do another check.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I am in Ft Collins, Colorado and I haven't found a shop that knows how to work on them. I will do another check.
Thank you!
Irma, my wife and I love Ft. Collins Colorado. Thought about retiring there. Wonderful breweries you have. We take all ours brand cars to Christian Brothers Automotive. They are a automotive service chain across the country. They can easy work on a smart car. If you have a aftermarket Extended automotive warranty. They can and will honor it. I highly recommend them. There are numerous location in the Denver area. One is even in Ft. Collins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Irma, my wife and I love Ft. Collins Colorado. Thought about retiring there. Wonderful breweries you have. We take all ours brand cars to Christian Brothers Automotive. They are a automotive service chain across the country. They can easy work on a smart car. If you have a aftermarket Extended automotive warranty. They can and will honor it. I highly recommend them. There are numerous location in the Denver area. One is even in Ft. Collins.
I will check them out!! Thank you. I went to college here, and stayed. Thank you again!!
View attachment 66097

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased it from Denver's only dealer in 2017. I also purchased a 7 year warranty.
Now, because they don't sell the Smarts anymore, the Mercedes Benz dealer is treating me like a third class citizen. Dealer is in Westminster, Co. Is anyone else having issues with service? My car has about 16,000 miles.
They are shorten the available service, but they have no plans to certify a shop. My warranty extends to 2023.
Any suggestions?
Everyone should know that some of the Mercedes dealerships were forced by Mercedes to take the Smart line. Thus, those dealers commitment to a low volume troublesome step child car was jettisoned as soon as possible. Some dealers are hanging on because they invested big money in equipment and trainng. And now with no additional sales the problem now is getting mechanics that want to work on a dead end specialty, no future. And the Mercedes dealerships don’t worry about it because people who buy Smart do not buy Mercedes. However, in some cities, the mercedes/Smart dealer is owned by Auto Nation so they care about happy customers because they need everybody’s business. I have found the Sarasota Mercedes dealer to be responsive to my concerns. It is my impression that many Mercedes dealers still think that they can pick and chose who they care about. And in today’s auto market that attitude will put them out of business sooner than later. The number of cars purchased using a digital app is rapidly escalating and with delivery to your drive way you don’t even have to get dressed to by the car of your choice. What a country!

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Everyone should know that some of the Mercedes dealerships were forced by Mercedes to take the Smart line. Thus, those dealers commitment to a low volume troublesome step child car was jettisoned as soon as possible. Some dealers are hanging on because they invested big money in equipment and trainng. And now with no additional sales the problem now is getting mechanics that want to work on a dead end specialty, no future. And the Mercedes dealerships don’t worry about it because people who buy Smart do not buy Mercedes. However, in some cities, the mercedes/Smart dealer is owned by Auto Nation so they care about happy customers because they need everybody’s business. I have found the Sarasota Mercedes dealer to be responsive to my concerns. It is my impression that many Mercedes dealers still think that they can pick and chose who they care about. And in today’s auto market that attitude will put them out of business sooner than later. The number of cars purchased using a digital app is rapidly escalating and with delivery to your drive way you don’t even have to get dressed to by the car of your choice. What a country!
All MB dealership, are independent owned. They made the decision to drop the smart brand, cause lack of sales. They weren’t forced by Mercedes-Benz. When the brand went all electric, only 27 dealers, offered the smart EV.

Why would a MB dealership continue to pay a technicians, to service that discontinued brand. Pay for their training? Our large MB dealership, here. aristocrat motors, wouldn’t carry the EV smarts, more or less service them. The ICE 453’s on there new car lot. They couldn’t even give away. Many new 453 sat there for a year. They decided to drop the brand a together.

It’s sad if you own a dinosaur, you have to find other sources for service.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can agree about Sarasota Mercedes (an AutoNation dealership) servicing smart. I have used both them and an independent (John's Automotive) that is half the price..

Cherry Hill (NJ) Mercedes is still servicing smart. Their service department has been excellent (since we took delivery in March 2008). Their Sales department is another story - would not buy a roller skate from them - bad experience with smart purchase and 4 attempts to buy big MBs over the years (bought elsewhere).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Note that in 2013 Auto Nation operated 265 dealerships in 15 states selling 32 different brands. AutoNation's high-end luxury dealerships, which sell cars such as Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, and Porsche, will continue to operate under their own, separate names, AutoNation said.

The Smart Car entered the America market under contract with the Roger Penske Automotive Group. Penske soon got out of it and MB used their influence to help sustain the marketing effort. So, anyway some MB are owned by Auto Nation. Use google as the whole
History of Smart Cars in America is there.

All MB dealership, are independent owned. They made the decision to drop the smart brand, cause lack of sales. They weren’t forced by Mercedes-Benz. When the brand went all electric, only 27 dealers, offered the smart EV.

Why would a MB dealership continue to pay a technicians, to service that discontinued brand. Pay for their training? Our large MB dealership, here. aristocrat motors, wouldn’t carry the EV smarts, more or less service them. The ICE 453’s on there new car lot. They couldn’t even give away. Many new 453 sat there for a year. They decided to drop the brand a together.

[/QUOT
operates 265 dealerships in 15 states selling 32 different brands. AutoNation's high-end luxury dealerships, which sell cars such as Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, and Porsche, will continue to operate under their own, separate names, AutoNation said.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Note that in 2013 Auto Nation operated 265 dealerships in 15 states selling 32 different brands. AutoNation's high-end luxury dealerships, which sell cars such as Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, and Porsche, will continue to operate under their own, separate names, AutoNation said.

The Smart Car entered the America market under contract with the Roger Penske Automotive Group. Penske soon got out of it and MB used their influence to help sustain the marketing effort. So, anyway some MB are owned by Auto Nation. Use google as the whole
History of Smart Cars in America is there.

[/QUOT
operates 265 dealerships in 15 states selling 32 different brands. AutoNation's high-end luxury dealerships, which sell cars such as Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, and Porsche, will continue to operate under their own, separate names, AutoNation said.
The smart car is not a high end luxury car. It is a fun little city car, the American public didn’t take on too. In 2019, smart only sold 680 smart EV’s. With price tags of $25-32K. With a very limited driving range. Not a good value. Fuel prices are cheap. SUV, crossovers, and trucks are in demand. MB pulled the smart brand here. Same with the Fiat brand, dropping the 500/Abarth vehicle. Honda discontinued the Fit.

Auto Nation, doesn’t sell all the Luxury vehicles and sport cars in this country. That franchise, has no say in what the MB does. That goes for other high end brand, Alfa, Lexus, Maserati, Lamborghini Ferrari etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The smart car is not a high end luxury car. It is a fun little city car, the American public didn’t take on too. In 2019, smart only sold 680 smart EV’s. With price tags of $25-32K. With a very limited driving range. Not a good value. Fuel prices are cheap. SUV, crossovers, and trucks are in demand. MB pulled the smart brand here. Same with the Fiat brand, dropping the 500/Abarth vehicle. Honda discontinued the Fit.

Auto Nation, doesn’t sell all the Luxury vehicles and sport cars in this country. That franchise, has no say in what the MB does. That goes for other high end brand, Alfa, Lexus, Maserati, Lamborghini Ferrari etc.

Of course Auto Nation is meaningless and couldn’t possibly influence any auto manufacturer.
Source: Automotive News

2018 total new retail vehicles sales
AutoNation Inc. 310,839
Penske Automotive Group Inc. 236,000

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any suggestions?
Had 2014 Smart ED / electric car, a lease from Westminster MB dealer. Nice service waiting area, they had a charging free port outside, now gone. Service fees are $$$ MB level, even when treated as 3rd class citizen. For ICE regular maintenance service, try independent service. For body shop service this dealer has none, used Arvada repair shop for my ED bodywork. For front wheel alignment on Smart , MB maybe only place that can perform such service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!
Irma, Did you ever find a shop near Fort Collins to work on your Smart? I am also in Northern Colorado and experiencing similar issues with basic maintenance down in Westminster.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you have some sort of mechanical aptitude, the Smart 453 is quite easy and FUN to work on. Plus if you change the Air filter to a K &N you have to mess with it less than stock. I posted the Wix and other oil filters for only 22bucks. I messed with the Freon 3yrs ago and it's still holding. Ambient temperature 95degrees. Vent temp 62degs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry about the hoppin' all over! I'm an advocate for this platform... ...I'm mad the Mother Being abandoned us! I will ALWAYS post pix and tips for anything to help the cause.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts