Smart Car of America Forum banner

Lambo Doors

8K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  unicycle 
#1 ·
Do they make a lambo door kit for the smart?

#11 ·
I'll say it. I'm a total design snob.. I work in the industry and have always idealized cars with o-r-i-g-i-n-a-l wheels/upholstery/paint etc..

BUT- I also think anyone should be able to do what EVER they want to their car without our judgement. Inarguably, cars with mods such as an opalescent painted, scissor-door smart with freaky wheels make the drive that much more fun. Bring it on. Additionally, one could argue that a smart with well-engineered scissor doors becomes the ultimate parking vehicle. The wingspan of the standard doors creates a bigger foot print -limiting the best spaces.

#13 ·
Not your father’s Lamborghini?

All “man that’s lame” aside, lambo door mods do have some functional value. In areas like DT Seattle where compact parking looks more like motorcycle parking, the smart’s large doors do not have much space to open. When the parallel parking lane is less than 8 ft wide, the lambo mod keeps the door from entering the lane of traffic. Although some may feel this isn’t a good look for the smart, I could see some use for it. And yes, I actually do like the look. Keep in mind this is a European look stolen by Japanese car customizers.

You can’t deny there is a large segment of younger enthusiasts that are going to customize. They should be encouraged to find a way to feel confident about driving a smart. Many of the younger “lookers” we get in the store admit they would love the car but are worried about the image it represents. If putting ridiculous doors and graphics on the car gets them into one, at least they are not “pimping” an 8 mi/gallon Escalade, right?

#15 ·
All “man that’s lame” aside, lambo door mods do have some functional value. In areas like DT Seattle where compact parking looks more like motorcycle parking, the smart’s large doors do not have much space to open. When the parallel parking lane is less than 8 ft wide, the lambo mod keeps the door from entering the lane of traffic. Although some may feel this isn’t a good look for the smart, I could see some use for it. And yes, I actually do like the look. Keep in mind this is a European look stolen by Japanese car customizers.

You can’t deny there is a large segment of younger enthusiasts that are going to customize. They should be encouraged to find a way to feel confident about driving a smart. Many of the younger “lookers” we get in the store admit they would love the car but are worried about the image it represents. If putting ridiculous doors and graphics on the car gets them into one, at least they are not “pimping” an 8 mi/gallon Escalade, right?
Oh dont worry, the escalade is pimped too w 24" floaters but that sits in the garage mostly. And hey it gets 13-14 MPg not 8. :)

#18 ·
It's also got nothing to do with MDC.
I believe it was a firm in switzerland who made the above smart.
MDC just borrowed the picture and stuck their name on it.

On the fortwo there just isn't enough room behind the front wings for the hinges hence the odd shape on the ones in the picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.