Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum, so be gentle...:D

I may soon be buying a 2009 fortwo passion to tow behind a class C motorhome.

I've been reading that because of the short wheelbase and steering geometry a driver's hand(s) on the steering wheel naturally damp out steering oscillations which may occur. When flat-towing, a bungee cord loosely attached from the bottom of the steering wheel diagonally to the seat anchors is desirable as a substitute for the driver's hand(s).

I've also been reading that some owners replace the front tires with the same size as the rear tires. The comments I've read say that the steering is more responsive, especially at speed. All the tires being the same size is attractive to me, for the usual reasons.

Here's my question:
Has anyone noticed that changing the front tire size has aggravated the potential steering oscillation issue when flat towing?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the same size tires on all four corners on factory rear alloy rims. Yes, I would say my steering is more responsive and the ride is more comfortable.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here's my question:
Has anyone noticed that changing the front tire size has aggravated the potential steering oscillation issue when flat towing?
I read most of the towing threads since that is one possibility for us in the future with our smart, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain about steering oscillations whether on the stock wheels or on larger sizes like the Brabus, nor with equal sized wheels. I believe it's been said that the bungee cord isn't even necessary on those with power steering. If anything, the larger wheels and their greater mass would slow any oscillations, and the larger tire mass would then help to dampen it further.

It did sound like the installation of the mount is pretty time consuming, taking the better part of a day. That, and that we have an ED, and the only way we'd be able to tow is on a trailer, so I haven't followed up with towing four down as our fate is sealed that we need a trailer.

I'm sure others with direct experience will soon chime in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At the Bristol NASCAR race a few days ago I was parked next to a gentleman who had a Class A motorhome flat towing a smart car.
He confirmed that he had experienced the steering wobble.
He said that a bungee cord solved the problem. He also said that the bungee cord should be installed loosely. He had to replace his front tires because a tight bungee cord would not allow the tires to steer enough.

On another forum (regarding 2014/2015 Jeep Cherokee) a well-known issue was being discussed. The vehicle had the electric-type power steering, and they were saying that when the electric-assist was not actually running there was too little resistance to the steering assembly and the steering went into a severe lock-to-lock wobble. There was a video.
https://youtu.be/fwgUAJaeECI

Wrangler https://youtu.be/EgFXVxiSdd4

Ford CMax https://youtu.be/a1izHvn0FpM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Following up with an update...

I've towed my smart 4-down behind the motorhome for about 4,000 miles now, with no issues whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tow a 2017 Prime Cabrio 4 down, no bungee cord needed. I don't have the larger tire on front but would like to if I ever find matching rims at a decent price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts