Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Smart ED. It has the 15 spoke rims and they are bent in a few spots. No, it wasn't me, I bought it used.

So far, they aren't bent bad enough to cause any noticeable vibration or air pressure loss. At some point, I'm going to need tires so I'm thinking about just replacing the rims when I replace the tires.

My question is, is it possible to go with a little larger rim/tire on the Smart? Some of these newer Smarts appear to have a little larger wheel and it seems like I see older smarts with a little larger wheel too. How big can we go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,577 Posts
You can go a lot larger than stock on your smart. Mine is a gasser, but I run 7.5"x17" on all four corners with 215-35x17 Hankook tires. No rubbing or electronic nanny issues.

·
3,577 Posts
Not really. It came with the larger tire/wheel on the rear and I just matched the front. My car is an "09 Brabus coupe, so even the front tires were about the same size as the Passion rears.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you want to protect the rims, you'd want taller sidewalls, not larger wheels. So stick with 15" wheels (I don't think there are any smaller ones with three holes). Then find the largest tire you can fit.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Keep an eye on the rim width as that affects what size tire you can find to mount on your rims.

The Brabus models did have 17 inch rims on the rear as stock, and they seem to get a lot of damaged rims.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2008 cabrio and I went with Oz X2 wheels (15x5.5 F, 15x6.5 R) with Continental ContiProContact tires (175/55R-15 F, 195/50R-15 R). The wheels are specially designed for the smart and are beautifully executed (I opted for the matte gun metal). The whole package was $946.92 (including shipping) from TireRack.

The difference in mechanical grip compared to stock is amazing and the car is much steadier in crosswinds. I saw no real impact on mileage.

·
3,577 Posts
One thing to keep in mind. You can't just throw the largest tire at your smart and find all is well. You need to keep the overall diameter as close as the original tire from the factory to keep the electronic nannies in check. Most of the better tire companies offer a spec chart so you can see just how much larger you can go without issues.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
I ran 195/50s on 15x6 rims on my '08 smart and thought they were great for handling. When that size started to get hard to find in a good all season, I switched to 185x60 on the same rims. The 195/50s were the handling champs, but the 185x60s handled better than stock, were available in all season, and rode a bit softer than the 195s. So, you can bias the ride toward comfort or handling.

The other thing to consider on an EV is finding a good low rolling resistance tire to maximize your range. A sticky performance tire is not going to be a friend to your battery.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I put two rear rims on front (They were stock steel 5.5 rims),
Then put 185/55R15 "H" rated General HP tires on all four.

Very happy.

Note these are 51 psi max tires, the OEM rubber was 44 psi max.

I have the front at 40 (275 kpa), the rear at 44 (300 kpa),
inflated very hard, but getting 44-45 mpg...

The General HP's are discontinued, the replacement is RT43's...

General*AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts