Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I know what you mean about how a good job can morph into a <ahem> not so great a job. 26.5 years is a long time. I'm at 25 years in my less than satisfactory position.

I've been looking at options for quite a while and it actually was a pretty good gig. Started going down hill about 10 years ago. The decline has continued. If I could've worked something out I'd have been gone long ago.

If I don't get the gumption to do anything earlier, 62 is around the corner and with SS supplement I can at last say adios to an unappreciative employer at that time.

Congratulations Stretch!
I hope it works out well for you!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked my job, fellow coworkers, supervisor and department. I didn't like the senseless regulations and decisions beyond our control that meant the job was so much harder to accomplish. Example is Flood Control didn't renew a permit and cannot clean out the basins until 2017. They are unkempt and overgrown. What should take me 15 minutes to check and treat, takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours now. I do not appreciate 8 years with out a raise and being told we need to take a 7% pay cut because the county doesn't want to dig into it's emergency fund of over $200 million. And being told this by the CEO of the county who negotiated a $40K raise over his predecessor's salary 3 years ago and built in a clause that says he can't be fired. He gets $2K a month for a vehicle allowance among other perks. All together he gets the equivalent of $350K a year and we need to sacrifice. All of the neighboring counties have gotten raises and no concessions

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I liked my job, fellow coworkers, supervisor and department. I didn't like the senseless regulations and decisions beyond our control that meant the job was so much harder to accomplish. Example is Flood Control didn't renew a permit and cannot clean out the basins until 2017. They are unkempt and overgrown. What should take me 15 minutes to check and treat, takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours now. I do not appreciate 8 years with out a raise and being told we need to take a 7% pay cut because the county doesn't want to dig into it's emergency fund of over $200 million. And being told this by the CEO of the county who negotiated a $40K raise over his predecessor's salary 3 years ago and built in a clause that says he can't be fired. He gets $2K a month for a vehicle allowance among other perks. All together he gets the equivalent of $350K a year and we need to sacrifice. All of the neighboring counties have gotten raises and no concessions
I'm hoping the new place will be more in your line of interest, be more fun and better paying as well. I'm expecting great things. :D Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st day as shop foreman. At the steep part of the leaning curve. Much to do, but it's exciting. Learning all the machines. I can assemble 4 different machines now. Only need to master like 20 more, lol. Have to know the machines to know how much inventory and parts we need.

·
Registered
137 Posts
After 26 1/2 years with the county, today is my last day. Monday I start my new job as shop foreman for Covington Engineering. Hard breaking out of that comfort zone but the county is no longer the employee friendly place it used to be. Time to move on.
Good luck Stretchmobile. I was in Materials Control and worked as a Production Planner for 14 years back in MA. Was never laid off once.

Moved out to Phoenix AZ 18 years ago and because this country doesn't manufacture anything any more because Mfg has been outsourced to other countries it was impossible to find a job as a Production Planner in Phoenix.

So I switched to IT at the start of the Internet bubble and have been laid off 5 times since the IT bubble popped around 1998-2000. The company I am now working for and have been with for 4 years is slowly going down the tubes. As a matter of fact, they just laid off 330 employees or 2% of their work force last week.

Used to be, years ago, some people would work for the same company their whole life. Now, if you get 4 years and then replaced with a contractor you are doing well. At least in the IT field.

You are right in saying:

The USA and its counties are no longer the employee friendly places they used to be.
Consider yourself fortunate to have had 26 years. There are young people with degrees working at McDonald's and living with their parents because they can't find work.

Best of luck to you. Will you get a pension from the county?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts