Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately what was a great night last night, turned into a disappointing afternoon today around ~3:00pm PST.

Took delivery of his new 2016 smart fortwo Friday night. He didn't have a way to drive his current car + new car home, so I delivered his new car after we closed up (he bought the car at the end of the day). Delivered his car around 10pm Friday night.

By 3pm Sat afternoon, the car was pit-maneuvered on the 10 freeway and both cars careened off the freeway with the smart being tripped up by an embankment and running through a tree.

He has VERY POSITIVE things to say about the smart. Wants another one once all the dust is settled. Walked away with a few cuts and bruises, but otherwise says he's much happier with the cuts, scratches, bruises, and HIS LIFE that he believes might have been taken away in an SUV. Came back to our dealership within a couple hours after his accident just to give me pictures.

I'm not sure I want to post the pictures of the wrecked smart, just for sensitivity reasons. It rolled over multiple times off the freeway after it was forced off the road into a tree, that sent the car into the rollover. He explained to me that he wants another one and believes this car was built with safety as its first priority. Even went far enough to explain that had this been another car, or especially an SUV, that he might not be walking away or even alive today.

I do hope he is doing better and I'm thankful this is a story with a decent ending.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What a bittersweet story and tribute to the heroism of the well-engineered 453.

Was that Hazel beauty a special order? Hope he can get a replacement quickly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a 2010 Passion and hit a deer doing around 60mph. The front was messed up(more so the passenger side) and I drove her home- I didn't have a scratch on me! $2k later and she was back on the road and doing fine. I bought another one( a 2012 Passion with 9K on her....a fresh lease trade in) in Jan. of this year and I will continue to be a loyal Smart owner. They are a safe car no matter what the "ill-informed" people may think. Best Wishes! :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
That's a story worth selling and I'm sure as a result it will sell - a lot more Smarts.
Terrific that your customer wasn't hurt and the fact that he wants to get right back in the saddle is a testament of how well the car is really built. Way to go MB-Smart! :hat:
I really like that colour combination also.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can see the radio antenna above the wheel well (post 6).

In the bottom pic looks like he walked away with just a scratch on the leg.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Wow. If he thought his new smart looked beautiful before the crash, I'll bet he thinks it looks gorgeous now (in a life-saving way, of course).

Good pics to keep on hand if anyone ever asks you why smarts cost a little bit more. Money well spent.

http://youtu.be/TJzZ7-Od6KY

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The delivery picture was in the initial post. The after-crash picture is in the red shirt, in the showroom, as he eyes his replacement smart. The 2nd picture was taken within 90 minutes of the car accident. His leg was bleeding and there were some bruises. He said he was fine.

I have a feeling that he's a little more sore today though. ..

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
..glad he's OK...
..btw...the other car on the upper left hand looks like a Mustang....

Jetfuel....soooo....what's the story???

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
..glad he's OK...
..btw...the other car on the upper left hand looks like a Mustang....

Jetfuel....soooo....what's the story???
The other car was a Mustang, and it was the one that lost control and clipped the rear 1/4 of the smart causing the pit maneuver. The smart was forced to basically make a 90 degree right turn as was forced into an embankment, into a tree, then a few rollovers, then through a fence, until it stopped on its feet.

Oh, and by the way, he came back to the store again today. He's had a day to rest up and recover. The bruises and scratches are still there, but otherwise he's able to laugh and walk around. He'll be alright. The hospital he checked into (as a precaution) cleared him as being okay with minor injuries (basically, the bruises and the cut on the shin). Everybody wished him well and he left.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Impressive story. Another "first" for SM West Covina. First sells the first 453 in the US then gets what's probably the first 453 wrecked in the country. Glad your client is ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts