Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a good laugh at Mercedes wisdom and a cry at the same time.

i noticed when in manual the shift points (blinking arrow) for first is at 9 and second is at 16 and third is at 25. maybe over there that would work but in the usa it should be more realistic.

the cry was in their infinite wisdom they forgot to put rain channels over the door windows. i had sitting rain drops(rain had already stopped but that wouldn't make any difference) on the roof and rolled the window down to place a drive thru order and boy did i get wet. seats door and carpet too.

probably nothing you old timers in the car didn't already know but to the newbies it's a shock

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
That would be to make the car more aerodynamic and since there are not frames around the top of the window glass, no drip rails

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yep... what he said. Don't think very many cars have any sort of channel for water if the doors they use are a half-door design of sorts, with no top frame to the door.

As for the shift points... you do realize that they aren't determined solely on how fast you're going, right? As far as i'm aware, shift points are usually judged based on your engine RPM's and throttle position. Wouldn't make sense if they ALWAYS recommended shifting at those points. Nothing like shifting into second at 9 MPH when you're just pulling out going up a very steep hill.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
To the OP...your car is an '08/'09 ? The shift points in the early cars are designed to get the car in to the highest gear possible quickly as possible to maximize fuel economy. Ignore the arrows...These cars like to rev up up high . I typically shift at close to 3800 to 4000 rpm in manual mode. My son' car ('15 smart) shift points are very different than mine which is '09. His are higher something like 15 into 2nd,maybe 29 into third in auto. Makes for a much better animal if driven in auto mode vs mine.

Rain channels?? No too common these days on any car. I get soaked in our Subaru Crosstrek if I open the window a little on a rainy day...Water drops down on the window button bank too...

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
The solution is to operate the car in the "D" mode and drive it like you want to - the car will figure out the "right" shift points based on your throttle inputs. :)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
To the OP...your car is an '08/'09 ? The shift points in the early cars are designed to get the car in to the highest gear possible quickly as possible to maximize fuel economy. Ignore the arrows...These cars like to rev up up high . I typically shift at close to 3800 to 4000 rpm in manual mode. My son' car ('15 smart) shift points are very different than mine which is '09. His are higher something like 15 into 2nd,maybe 29 into third in auto. Makes for a much better animal if driven in auto mode vs mine.

Rain channels?? No too common these days on any car. I get soaked in our Subaru Crosstrek if I open the window a little on a rainy day...Water drops down on the window button bank too...
What he said............these motors LIKE to be reved up :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts