Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013, I noticed fluids at the bottom of this (transfer case?) and maybe at the axle seal area in the pic. I actually powered sprayed it clean before I thought of taking the pic so I highlighted where I saw oil. But most of this silver case was black. 37K miles. Not happy. What is it and how much? Any ideas? I went to do an oil change when I saw it. Am I able to do an oil change or might this be tied into the engine oil? Will have to bring it to a shop. :mad:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,972 Posts
If the car is still under warranty, smart will fix it. If not, keep cleaning the area (unless it starts dripping onto the floor) and check the fluid level occasionally. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed on your dime.

A DIY oil change should be no problem. :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Go over the car with a fine tooth comb, look for anything that may need fixing. NOW is the time to "Get it done" under warranty.
Make sure what happen to miss Mercedes, doesn't happen to you, take pictures of the condition of your car before you drop it off with a current newspaper in sight to prove date of the pictures. This way if there is a huge grease stain you can show it wasn't there before the work was done. Sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yup, leaky axle seal. If you are handy, you can replace them yourself. It's not a horrible job, but the drive shafts need to come out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was repaired by Mercedes in June and its back in the shop today with the exact same problem. Mercedes wanted to charge me $500 to repair it but I argued. They claimed they dont warranty warranty repair. (wtf?) But they ended up doing it for free. So whats up with this? Am I going to have a leak every 6 months 5K miles? They said its likely I would.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My brother's wife 2013 smart had the passenger side axle replaced due to weeping leak. Benz replaced the axle under warranty. Short time later another leak appeared. Back to Benz; - during the original service they forgot to replace the axle 'seal' , only replaced the axle.

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked the service guy to explain the situation again. He said, if a car is repaired under warranty, then goes out of warranty, the repaired item is no longer covered under warranty. So the repair they actually did, there was no warranty on it. That still doesnt make sense to me at all. They make a repair the repair should be covered 12/12K as the back of the service contract states.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts