Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart Barabus 2009 started leaking yellow fluid in three spots on garage floor and inside of car smells bad. Any ideas what it could be and if I can fix it? I have been a member since 2009 but changed my email. you have always had my answers. Thanks

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yellow could be old brake fluid or oil. Do you have a picture of the locations, or at least a description, of where approximately the three areas it is leaking from? (Usually wet spots on the underside of the car if you can bend/lay down to take a peek).

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
As Jesse said above, it would be very helpful to know where the leak was, i.e. front or back of the car, near a wheel/wheels, centered under the rear axle, etc. Are any of the fluid levels down? Dab one of the puddles with a piece of white tissue paper to get a better look and feel and smell of the fluid.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,500 miles

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yellow could be old brake fluid or oil. Do you have a picture of the locations, or at least a description, of where approximately the three areas it is leaking from? (Usually wet spots on the underside of the car if you can bend/lay down to take a peek).

Never heard of yellow-colored oil or brake fluid. It could only be coolant. The smell of coolant is distinctive too.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Older brake fluid turns yellow in the reservoir before it turns black. Some oils are yellowish new. Mercedes switched to blue coolant a while ago, and not sure whether someone would keep their original yellow Mercedes coolant this long....

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Catheylaughery Have you checked your coolant level? Early smarts had coolant lines that were sometimes too long at the point just forward of the engine where they go into the body towards the front of the car. Rubbing would occur where the hoses went over a welded seam causing a leak, which became bad enough with wear that coolant loss would occur. No warning light ever comes on until the engine is toast. This was covered quite a bit on here back in the early days. Look at your coolant reservoir bottle, level should be at the Max line. Is the coolant color yellow, or yellow green? When you check the reservoir, is the top on tight? I topped mine up, once ran a short trip. Made it home, noticed leakage, and the reservoir top was right where I left it under the hood. DOH! If it has gotten to or below the min. line. I would burp the hose on the cylinder head. It is the small hose on the left end of the engine. with the engine running, remove the hose until coolant comes out. Air is displaced first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were spots in the rear of the car which have now stopped but the smell is still there. I have to go in for the recall but my back latch is broke and wont open with a screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it opened before I take it in for recall? I also checked fluid levels up front and all are fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
I'm betting on the leaking rear axle if it smells. You can certainly rule out brake fluid and coolant by comparing their colors and smells from their reservoirs to the leak.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 8,000 miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts