Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read over this thread, but there really isn't an answer to my question.

Now that the earliest ED leases have matured, has anyone successfully convinced their dealer or MBFS to reduce their buyout by the federal rebate, regardless of a battery buyout?

In a nutshell, my vehicle price was $26,530 less incentives (BAP, lease bonus cash, loyalty cash, and dealer contributions), for a final price of $14,614. I put $2000 down, which resulted in a capitalized cost reduction of $1251.25 (after first payment, taxes, and fees), making the adjusted capitalized cost of $13,362.75.

My residual, and buyout, are listed as $13,048.40, which includes the federal rebate they would have filed for. I believe that the buyout, for the sled, should be $5548.40 plus taxes & fees. Obviously around $5,000 more if BAP is bought out.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You probably haven't read much about buyout because most choose not to buyout. Especially with a 100% electric car. Battery degradation and the high cost of replacements, that being one of the overwhelming factors.

Did you challenge the numbers when you signed the lease?

So basically are you looking for a better deal now than what you got in the beginning?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I did not. But it's easy enough to reject the buyout price... Don't buy it out.

I just want to know if anyone's been successful negotiating for a lower buyout at lease-end with those kinds of numbers.

I already plan on telling the Chevy dealer point blank that they have two options they can fulfill if I get the Bolt (which would replace the ED). One option is to put the tax credit in the capital cost reduction and reduce the residual, the other is to take it out of the residual to generate the buyout price.

It's my mistake for not realizing the issue before signing, but that doesn't preclude trying.

I plan to move forward with the Bolt, but I don't want the Chevy dealer putting it down as a negative trade. If I can buy it out at the lower price and then turn around and trade for a net of probably around $0, that is what I'll do. Turning it in at my dealer is not going to be fun, I'll have arrange transportation back from the dealer (easy enough, but annoying), unless I can turn it in a local Mercedes (one without a smart Center).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Most of the ED leases are only starting to come due now. So there aren't likely to be too many people with experience.

Our lease buyout is coming up next month but it is already lower than yours already (~10k+tx CAD). I don't hold much hope of negotiating, but it may depend on inventory levels within MB. They would need to be motivated.

We are planning to buy the car because it has already saved us $4-6k in gasoline and over the next few years it will save us between 6 and 10k. So the ED will end up paying for itself. Hard to complain about the price in that context.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reasons for the Bolt are the larger dealer network and longer range. I'm tired of making the just-barely-in-range trek to the dealer every year for service. In fact, when I went last year, I had to stop for a little charge a few miles out.

I then, of course, have to wait all day for it to fully charge so I can head home.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We liked the Bolt (roomy, drives well, good range, 4.5 people, ok electronics, limited DCFC). However the GM reps told us there was an 8 month wait before we could get one. That may just be Ontario, but it basically dropped the Bolt into the Model 3, New Leaf, others bake off happening at the end of this year.

I think if GM wasn't having production problems we might already have ordered one. Instead we'll buy out the Smart and it will be our beater when the Model 3 arrives.

ymmv

·
Registered
292 Posts
Battery degradation and the high cost of replacements, that being one of the overwhelming factors.
:twak:

I call BS on this degradation myth. Ours has crossed 40000 km and gets charged twice a day for ~60% in both hot and cold weather. Degradation is maybe 1-2%.

The battery will outlast the car unless something catastrophic happens (i.e. T-boned by a pole.)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I love the Bolt. It's small, stylish, roomy, fun, well-priced, and with great performance specs. The interior could benefit from upgraded materials – at least optionally – but it's definitely the only real contender in that price segment. Kudos to Chevy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We liked the Bolt (roomy, drives well, good range, 4.5 people, ok electronics, limited DCFC). However the GM reps told us there was an 8 month wait before we could get one. That may just be Ontario, but it basically dropped the Bolt into the Model 3, New Leaf, others bake off happening at the end of this year.
Your accessibility to the Bolt, may be more of rollout over/up there in Ontario. Dealerships around here (Rochester, NY) just started getting them about the middle of last month, having placed their initial orders in January.

At this point, I do expect that I'd be waiting 6-8 weeks for my Bolt to get what I want. But I need to figure out what I'm doing with the smart before I place the order.

If you go coast-to-coast, you can almost drive the Bolt across the US with full charges on DCFC (Combo, not CHAdeMO), but there's one stretch across Nebraska that is just a little bit too long (based on ChargePoint).

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Bolts are selling well up here, about 400 YTD, but they are definitely supply constrained. There is a lot of interest. Hopefully that's just a temporary thing for GM.

At the lease buyout price, even assuming its tax in, I'd pass on your ED. Check the used market prices. The canuck buck prices are about 12k here, which would be about 9K there. You might be able to do better.

Also, didn't NY just add some additional rebates for new EVs? You might do better trying to extend the lease for a bit until your Bolt arrives. Although when i asked MBFS for an extended lease they quoted 500+ per month, which was just nuts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, NY did just come out with a new $2,000 US rebate. It was announced back in March and was supposed to go into effect this month. I just found the program details. The amount is based on the EPA all-electric range and price.

If the MSRP is more than $60k, you only get $500, otherwise it breaks down as follows:

120+ miles: $2000 (Bolt)
40-119 miles: $1700 (smart)
20-39 miles: $1100
<20 miles: $500

I e-mailed my smart Center on Friday and was told MBFS won't negotiate, but that the dealer might be able to buy the car from MBFS and sell it to me near the desired price. They asked for the mileage, but haven't gotten back to me with a quote. I'm hoping they will today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts