Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 ED lease is ending in a couple of months. I got the first service done, but never ended up getting the second one done as I hardly drive the car (8k miles in 3 years).

I just received the lease end book that mentions that the maintenance should be up to date.

Does anyone here have any experience with turning in a smart (Gas or ED) without the scheduled maintenance up to date? Are they going to penalize me for turning in the car the way it is? If so, what do they usually charge?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Turned in my '13 gasser last Dec with 30K miles. Never went back to dealer for any service or warranty work. All service done by me. They never even looked at the car or asked for any records. Only asked for keys and if manuals were in the car. May vary by dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I don't know how much, but if the service has not been performed according to the maintenance schedule then you will be billed for it. It won't even be a dealer decision. MB used to be way more lenient on lease returns than just about any other company, but in recent months they have switched to an independent lease return verification company. The same one that Toyota, Honda, BMW, and most other manufacturers use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Is there any way I can reset the service needed light? How would they find out if the second service was done or not?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
How would they find out if the second service was done or not?
Let's start with no "record" of the Annual Battery Pack service as REQUIRED by BAP as per the LEASE contract that you signed?

Someone may be a little naive toward what could be stored on the computer?

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Is there any way I can reset the service needed light? How would they find out if the second service was done or not?
They keep service records based on vin number. I still don't know whether you will be charged for it or not though.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
They keep service records based on vin number. I still don't know whether you will be charged for it or not though.
But service does not have to be performed at the dealership. So what if the service was performed elsewhere? Or what if you do your own service? What records do you need to keep as an owner if you DIY? I keep a WORD document and any parts I buy are not necessarily bought at the time of the service. Some parts I have laying around for months/years before I use them.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
But service does not have to be performed at the dealership. So what if the service was performed elsewhere? Or what if you do your own service? What records do you need to keep as an owner if you DIY? I keep a WORD document and any parts I buy are not necessarily bought at the time of the service. Some parts I have laying around for months/years before I use them.

Len
2014 EV
How do you prove the battery maintenance and inspections were performed if the only way to service it is via factory trained personnel?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Len, then why are you going to the trouble of taking your ED back (beyond, range) for service (battery check)?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
How do you prove the battery maintenance and inspections were performed if the only way to service it is via factory trained personnel?
Len, then why are you going to the trouble of taking your ED back (beyond, range) for service (battery check)?
My EV goes in this week to the dealer for the annual battery service and only that. I want that documented in the records and I want to have that printout in my hands. Considering that the battery is still under warranty, I don't want to give Mercedes any wiggle room if there is a problem during the warranty period. I own the battery, so I've got four years - after that I likely will take my chances. Everything else is "check this" or "inspect that" and I can do that myself. I have changed the desiccant cartridge and the brake fluid and have the cabin air filter on hand.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Owned vs. leased, two very different expectations on the part of MBFS - so says the signed lease and BAP agreement.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Owned vs. leased, two very different expectations on the part of MBFS - so says the signed lease and BAP agreement.
I really wanted to lease my car, but couldn't pass up the purchase price on mine. I don't think I would do anything different if I leased it than I'm doing as the owner. The lease requires the annual battery service and I'm doing that as an owner just to cover myself during the warranty period. I still had planned to DIY for everything else whether leasing or buying. MBFS cannot require you to have your service done at the dealer, although you may be a captive audience for the battery.

Len
2014 EV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts