Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must travel next week and am wondering which car to take to the airport and leave in the parking lot. We are having considerable cold (single-digit temps °F). Will my smart tolerate the cold and take me home a week after I've left it?

My other options are my ICE, or Uber. I'll still have to leave the smart sitting, but at least it will be at home.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I must travel next week and am wondering which car to take to the airport and leave in the parking lot. We are having considerable cold (single-digit temps °F). Will my smart tolerate the cold and take me home a week after I've left it?

My other options are my ICE, or Uber. I'll still have to leave the smart sitting, but at least it will be at home.
You have options take the ICE or uber. Why fret about it?
I lived in the Midwest, the only time my car wouldn't start was pre mobil 1 and -20 F (not windcchill) my eyes were tearing and the metal frames stuck to my cheeks it so cold. The plastic that held the seat belt buckle in place crumbled when I slid across the seats because the drivers door was frozen closed.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts

Leaving your "plastic" battery driven vehicle in covered or open air parking @ the airport?

Like Jo e Lefors, my bias - coming home to the airport tired/late & COLD I don't need surprises!

Dunno your RT home to airport but if "range" is close I would opt for ICE or Uber.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your smart will be fine after a week sitting in the cold. I parked my LEAF outside in the driveway here a few days before Christmas and drove it out New Years Day. It had been single digits overnight several times and never above freezing. Car lost a few percent of charge over that time. The LEAF does have an automatic battery pack heater, but I don't think that was a significant contributor. It immediately switched on and was game to go.

All that said, stepping into a warm Uber and getting driven home is tough to beat after a long day of travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts