Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced the dome light in my Pure with a white led I found on eBay. Major improvement in cabin illumination and for $1.

At night, you can see the led bulb is still on. Very faint but there must be a trickle current coming through. I inspected the switch in place and found nothing wrong. I didn't disconnect it and take it to my work bench.

This was not noticeable with the stock bulb and I'm thinking there is just enough current getting through to fire the led.

I doubt if this power drain is a big deal but it does have me wondering.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Same reason I went back to the stock bulb. The LED has a faint glow when off. Didn’t want to chance it with auto lights, auto wipers, and a LED that doesn’t go out completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
That circuit is controlled by a timer circuit to prevent a dead battery, and in the 'off' state there is not enough current to fire a lamp, but there is for an LED.

These circuits give feedback to the ECM for bulb status alerts.

Put the bulb back, the car was engineered in the time of LED's but was designed for tungsten just about everywhere.

SR

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Recently replaced the dome light in my Pure with a white led I found on eBay. Major improvement in cabin illumination and for $1.

At night, you can see the led bulb is still on. Very faint but there must be a trickle current coming through. I inspected the switch in place and found nothing wrong. I didn't disconnect it and take it to my work bench.

This was not noticeable with the stock bulb and I'm thinking there is just enough current getting through to fire the led.

I doubt if this power drain is a big deal but it does have me wondering.
I have LED's in all of my smart cars dome lights. I had the same issue with the first LED that I installed. You just need a higher quality LED and it will not stay on like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts