Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Driving lights are supposed to be on only when high beams are, so I thought. I don't see how properly aimed foglights could cause much issue as they are supposed to have a short wide beam pattern. But what do I know...

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well, the fog lights could benefit from being turned off when it's not foggy. Few drivers seem to remember what the fog part of fog light means.
I agree with you about light adjustment - all lights on so many vehicles need adjustment! I have always checked mine periodically and wonder why those states with yearly safety inspections don't include light checks. The 4 vehicles of ours with fog lights all turn off when the headlights are turned off or the engine is shut down. All have to be intentionally turned on again the next time the vehicle is operated. I only use mine on the back roads I travel, not so much for fairly rare fog but to see animals lurking on the sides.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,090 Posts
I just read your post JZ. Sorry I missed the link the first time I read it. I saved it for future reference, and no it's not too detailed, I love details ! Thank you my friend. DCO

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I see SOOO many cars on the road with improperly aimed headlights and fogs. Just the other night had someone in a van behind me with their fogs on.... They were stopped behind me at a traffic light, and their FOG LIGHTS were lighting up the inside of my car.

I think a lot of them could also be DIY fog lights.... you know... done by people who don't know what fog lights are for, thinking they're to help your low beams light up the road rather than to make sure you can still SEE the road in front of you.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I just read your post JZ. Sorry I missed the link the first time I read it. I saved it for future reference, and no it's not too detailed, I love details ! Thank you my friend. DCO
Don't worry. I wasn't sure what happened. I guessed it looked like advertising as for some reason it shows as a title, not a web address. Glad you liked it! Thank you, for all your contributions!!!

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
A bit late but the answer can help future readers. I use Vehicode FANLESS H7s for low and high beams in a 2013 451. These are small, the cover can be used and the light output and pattern is very much OEM-like. So far I have only seen them in Amazon and the price is very attractive. $30 per set. Using them for about a year now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
A bit late but the answer can help future readers. I use Vehicode FANLESS H7s for low and high beams in a 2013 451. These are small, the cover can be used and the light output and pattern is very much OEM-like. So far I have only seen them in Amazon and the price is very attractive. $30 per set. Using them for about a year now.
Thanks for the tip. I have been running the ones linked below (low beam only) and they are not very good:

• A real pain to install - has an external pig-tail and driver.
  • cover can't be used - have to duct tape over the opening for a modicum of weatherproofing
  • beam pattern awful

So I'll give them a try. Did these bulbs go in jsut like OEM halogens - no modification of the clip or anything?

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have been running the ones linked below (low beam only) and they are not very good:

• A real pain to install - has an external pig-tail and driver.
  • cover can't be used - have to duct tape over the opening for a modicum of weatherproofing
  • beam pattern awful
So I'll give them a try. Did these bulbs go in jsut like OEM halogens - no modification of the clip or anything?
No modifications. Just as the OEM

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
For the price of that set you can get both sets for the smart. I have both H7s and the high beam is unrestricted and very bright. The low beam is channeled through the projector lenses. They are very compact and fit without any issues. Please let me know your experience with them.

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
I did upgrade my brother’s Tacoma headlight bulbs with Vehicode H4s and he is super impressed, specially because it does not blind other drivers and he can see the road perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
These bulbs are DOT certified and very much OEM-like in size and light output. I am using them in a 2013 Smart Fortwo, a 1995 s500, a 2007 Toyota Yaris, a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria and my brother’s Tacoma and F150.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I’m sorry to say that DOT does no certification at all. The manufacturer of the lighting in question does the certification process, ie by sending out to a lab, like Calcoast-ITL.

This is per specific lamp, meaning said bulb needs to be sent with the Smart Fortwo lamp to the lab for testing. This has no guarantee for a Tundra, that lamp with the bulb needs to be tested as well.

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
True. Based on my personal experience after 20+ years in accident reconstruction, headlight bulbs considered, I feel comfortable with the light output and I have not had a single person flash high beams at my vehicles at night, which is more than enough in my specific case. With the prior LEDs I had almost everyone flashing high beams at the vehicles because the light output was improperly focused on the road.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I installed my set (low and high beams) this evening.

Testing their aim was tough because of rain but they were definitely aimed far too high and it at least a dozen turns of the adjusting screw to get them something close to right. I will re-check them in better weather.

But yes the light pattern is very good and bright with a proper sharp upper cut off.

Why do all other LED headlight bulbs have those bulky heat sinks? These are the only bulbs I've found that will work becasue the rubber weather covers definitely need to be used - the headlight projector lenses had some dew in them from them not being used (just some duct tape) with the other LED bulbs.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts