Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Did you get the exact same model as the photo? There were many models. Mine don’t have adjustment as they are plug and play. They only allow either with the LEDs on the sides or the LEDs up and down. They should be on the sides. Can you post photos of the ones you received?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Did you get the exact same model as the photo? There were many models. Mine don’t have adjustment as they are plug and play. They only allow either with the LEDs on the sides or the LEDs up and down. They should be on the sides. Can you post photos of the ones you received?
Yes, the LED's were installed with the LED chips shining sideways. The adjustment I am referring to is the white hex screw on the car's headlight unit. (Clockwise-down/counterclockwise-up - both low and high beams). They had been adjusted upward some from when I installed the previous LED light bulbs. But the down adjustment this time was past the original factory setting plus some more.

There is also a left-right adjustment screw that is hard to get to but should not normally need any adjustment. More info in the link below:

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,065 Posts
Super Bright Led's dot Com has great LED bulbs

I have done the side markers, dome, center brake light, and backup bulbs...

For the side markers by the doors, and the center brake light, I used an oversized bulb...

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Super Bright Led's dot Com has great LED bulbs

I have done the side markers, dome, center brake light, and backup bulbs...

For the side markers by the doors, and the center brake light, I used an oversized bulb...
The third light (brake) does not need to be canbus. Next week I will attempt to bypass the SAM’s electronic flasher to use regular LEDs. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I likewise replaced all of the lights with LEDs except the combination turn signal/brake lights, which would need a parallel resistor to not "hyperflash". With the resistor, the LED light is drawing as much current as a regular bulb. So, if the objective of the LEDs' is to reduce the load on the DC-DC converter, there is no point in using LED's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I already know my answer, but has anything really changed regarding LED headlights? I just tried installing some Hikari LEDs that I got on Amazon. Beside needing at least adapters, it does seem that the beam pattern of the LED doesn't work well with the projector lamps as mentioned previously. Should I just return these to Amazon?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I’ve been thinking of doing a led projector unit retro vs drop in bulbs on the headlights.
I did my some light and side blinkers(used pre made housings for them and really bright led for the dome)
Is there anyway I can do leds in the blinkers and brake lights without hyper flash?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I think I already know my answer, but has anything really changed regarding LED headlights? I just tried installing some Hikari LEDs that I got on Amazon. Beside needing at least adapters, it does seem that the beam pattern of the LED doesn't work well with the projector lamps as mentioned previously. Should I just return these to Amazon?
There's a lighting forum I'm on candlepowerforums. The moderators of the Automotive section know the best upgrades. If I had to guess, and if I recall correctly that the smart 451 uses H11, can modify H9 to fit, which only they know if it is safe....

Short answer, yes return it if you can.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a rx8 and those bulbs will not swap easy between the sockets.(even if it could be done the output may be different)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have been through a few dozen sets of LED headlight bulbs in my smart trying to find the best combination. Of color, throw and beam pattern. LED technology has dramatically increased over the past few years and there are some good options available.

The biggest issue is the the LED die is in a different location as an incandescent bulb’s filament. The result is that the beam pattern is generally far too scattered. Yes, the bulbs are brighter, but an incorrectly focused bulb can throw photons in patterns so wide that they are useless for driving because not enough light is thrown in front of the car to adequately see down the road.

To make matters worse, if the headlight housing of not correctly re-aligned, the extra brightness can and will blind other drivers. This is not unique to the smart - every day I see cars and trucks that have “upgraded” without realigning and they are constantly getting high-beam flashes from oncoming traffic. It’s dangerous and careless and in some cases, can earn you a traffic violation so please don’t just throw LED bulbs in your vehicles and start driving.

Now the good part... it IS possible to find LED bulbs that have sufficient throw, good beam pattern and are positioned well enough as to not be problematic for other drivers.

Interestingly, some of the highest cost bulbs I’ve tried have been really awful, and some inexpensive bulbs performed better.

So far, the best bulbs I’ve found for my 451 are SIMILAR these:

CORRECTION: They are similar to these. The bulbs in the smart 451 are H11, not H7.

They are inexpensive, cause minimal radio interference, and most closely resemble the beam pattern of halogen bulbs.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I’m not affiliated with the seller, but I can tell you they work well, but their quality control leaves a bit to be desired - one of the bulbs was DOA due to a poorly soldered power connector.

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
I know this has been discussed elsewhere but I'd like to get some more up-to-date feedback.

I'm looking at LED headlights for me ED. First off, there seems to be the question of what size bulb works for the Smart. I am finding multiple sites list the H11 and the H7. Not sure what size to look at.

My main reason for looking at the LED is mostly vanity. I installed some LEDs in the lower grill to serve as DRLs. They are pretty white/bluish and my headlights are pretty yellow. That color mismatch drives me nuts.

Also hoping to save just a tiny bit of power but I know that won't amount to a whole lot.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try the older vehicode h7s. Those are fan-less, compact and plug and use. They fit perfectly and light output is oem-like. The newer model is not as small. Have been using them for over a year and I work the night shift so they are used basically daily.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have a rx8 and those bulbs will not swap easy between the sockets.(even if it could be done the output may be different)
I'm on my phone so not ideal trying to link thread, but I installed H9 into my '14 iQ and very little modification needed. Will find thread over there. But they know the light specs and can tell you for sure.

But about output the filament geometry and position are the same. There is no obscurition? cap on the H9, and lumen output is vastly superior. It is 65 W so wiring harness needs to be robust. That's why I defer to the experts who do know.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I may give those a try and if they don’t work out for me I’ll do a led projector retrofit.
I did it on my gas scooter and it was a world of difference in lighting performance.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Here's the thread I think we're posting at the exact same time so I better stop editing:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Hopefully works now. Very little trimming of the base was necessary only on one side. Instead of trimming the bulb connection I ended up trimming the plug on the harness side...

41 - 60 of 79 Posts