Smart Car of America Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

Registered

Registered
Good luck.
I wish I could鈥檝e found something like that for my 09 451 when I was looking for the led bulbs.(still would like a set to do the stock high beams for drl purpose since I retried different projector units in place of the stock ones.
Most don鈥檛 give enough clearance for it to even fit thanks to the design of the housings.

Registered
I bought today

Auxbeam H11 H8 H9 LED Fog Light Bulbs 6000K 800 Lumens 30W H11 LED Bulb 3030 30-SMD Chips 12V LED H11 Bulb High Power Xenon White (Set of 2)

and

EuleSicht H4 9003 HB2 LED Headlight Bulbs Fanless 8000LM Per Set 6500K Xenon White Super Bright Hi/Low Beam LED Headlights, Pack of 2

for my 2016 prime. I鈥檓 gonna install Sunday. They are suppose to be plug n play. 馃馃檹
Anyone have these or similar in there 453? Any issues?
You should understand that by "plug and play", it means that you will still need to adjust at least the up/down headlight aim with the new bulbs.

Registered
Main thing is make sure the aim is still the same as it was or a bit lower if the leds are brighter then the stock bulbs.(I did mine just a bit lower then what they was do to not have to worry about blinding someone)

Registered
Main thing is make sure the aim is still the same as it was or a bit lower if the leds are brighter then the stock bulbs.(I did mine just a bit lower then what they was do to not have to worry about blinding someone)
I wish everyone in the US paid attention to their headlight aim with consideration to other drivers as you do. Most adjust their headlights for only me-me-me with no regard that they are blinding the driver they just passed. Pickup trucks are the worst. Something I never figured out is that as rigorous (and expensive) as the annual Pennsylvania state inspection is, they don't even check the headlight aim like they used to in the rudimentary inspections in Virginia.

Registered
^ I understand how you feel and speaking from experience from being night blinded by some of said trucks(even other cars)I鈥檝e passed on the road at night it鈥檚 not fun when they aren鈥檛 aimed properly.
That鈥檚 why I do the aim like that.
What sucks is Tennessee doesn鈥檛 do inspections nor check for headlight aim.(except in certain areas)
I figured they still did that in Virgina maybe they changed the laws there

Registered
Since trucks/SUVs are taller the aim tends to be inherently blinding. There are legal limits to the bulb specification of brightness and this is where people should be careful to adhere to. An example I can think of H11 to H9 conversion. The filament position is the same and just the lumens is much greater. In the right projector housing and a car height, this has been recommended to me for my Scion iQ. In a taller truck, minivan, or SUV, the advice is to stay with H11 limits, ie +100 or the like but still an H11 bulb.

Registered
Since trucks/SUVs are taller the aim tends to be inherently blinding. There are legal limits to the bulb specification of brightness and this is where people should be careful to adhere to. An example I can think of H11 to H9 conversion. The filament position is the same and just the lumens is much greater. In the right projector housing and a car height, this has been recommended to me for my Scion iQ. In a taller truck, minivan, or SUV, the advice is to stay with H11 limits, ie +100 or the like but still an H11 bulb.
They are taller - but should be aim downward toward the road so that only very close to the vehicle is there a possibility of dazzling.

Registered
On the ones that has projector headlights I rarely have the issue even with brighter bulbs due to them actually being aimed.(providing they aren鈥檛 lifted)
It鈥檚 the reflector based ones that鈥檚 the worst offenders.
Nuts who lift said trucks and suvs then do the headlight bulb swap(for illegal bulbs no doubt) are the ones that really make it hard to see at night.

Registered
On the ones that has projector headlights I rarely have the issue even with brighter bulbs due to them actually being aimed.(providing they aren鈥檛 lifted)
It鈥檚 the reflector based ones that鈥檚 the worst offenders.
Nuts who lift said trucks and suvs then do the headlight bulb swap(for illegal bulbs no doubt) are the ones that really make it hard to see at night.
On a forum for another brand of older car of mine I have seen folks post that they install very high wattage bulbs so they can see better but really don鈥檛 car about other oncoming cars.

Registered
^ I鈥檝e seen that on many older cars and trucks.
I did jw speaker led headlights in my 79 cordoba as many of the others pale in comparison.
I鈥檝e seen many people just stick a hid kit in a set of semi sealed headlights and call it a day(those are likely the ones your referring to) it鈥檚 federal illegal for them to do it but who鈥檚 going to stop them?

Registered
If you think about it blinding oncoming traffic can be hazardous to your own health...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Registered
If you think about it blinding oncoming traffic can be hazardous to your own health...

Back in my teens I bought a used1970 Dodge Challenger. Previous owner had replaced the high beams with 100 watt aircraft landing lights. I don't remember if they were GE or Westinghouse. The previous owner warned me to use them very sparingly and not the sit still with them on because the plastic bezel would start to melt. They were strange because they were flat on the front they weren't rounded like the regular low beams.
Back in the days of a foot switch for high beams.
I swear you could see 3 miles down the road.

Registered
I鈥檝e heard of those being used.
It鈥檚 not as bad if it鈥檚 high beams only but low beams ouch!
One glaring downside to the floor mounted high beam switch was it would stick or not work at all(had the one in my cordoba stick and make it so I couldn鈥檛 see anything a few times)

Registered
They were high beams only.
Being from the midwest, I replaced a few floor switches. Pretty cheap under $4 as I recall. Two screws and a plug and you were back in business.

Registered
JW Speaker is the true legal LEDs. You on CandlePowerForums? Virgil and Alaric know their stuff. Also check Daniel Stern Lighting, (not the shock jock)...

Registered
Jo
That works great for night driving when nobody else is on the road(yes I鈥檝e gotta replace that switch on the cordoba as the regular sealed beams worn out the switch from the current draw(C贸rdoba has quad high beams)

Jzchen no but I do use the information they have posted on there.
Jw speaker while expensive are worth every penny.
I also put a set in my miata(all I could say was WOW! On the first night drive with them) which is the new ones that pass that new lighting test(insane on both low and high)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts