Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently bought a 2016 Smart and am starting to make customizations to it. I switched out the bulbs from halogen to LED, but now one doesnt work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
LED replacement bulbs work best in assemblies that have projector lenses. My 2016 does not. Also, there is considerable debate on the effectiveness of such a switch with many recommending not to do so. I decided against that change and installed SilverStar Ultra bulbs and am very pleased with the results. I have used SilverStar bulbs for almost 20 years in all my vehicles, including cycles and scooters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can try swap bulbs left to right to see if it is the bulb itself or simply a bad connection.
Is your new LED bulbs totally enclosed inside the housing or with heat-sink outside?
If LED is totally enclosed inside the housing, the heat generated by the LED itself may fried the embedded electronic components due to lack of cooling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try swap bulbs left to right to see if it is the bulb itself or simply a bad connection.
Is your new LED bulbs totally enclosed inside the housing or with heat-sink outside?
If LED is totally enclosed inside the housing, the heat generated by the LED itself may fried the embedded electronic components due to lack of cooling.
Hey, so yes the heat sink is outside! It’s weird, because the high beams work no problem, but the low, one doesn’t work. I have this same exact problem on my Mercedes as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting problem. Another reason against upgrading to LED head/brake bulbs instead of the original type of bulbs?
Please update if you found the reason or a solution.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Check the connection to it.
If the connection is good try it in the other side.
I’ve used leds in multiple vehicles and only had one go bad and it was a diode failure on one side of one of them.(the other side of said bulb worked)
I got it as part of a set from vleds who replaced it no questions asked.
For the smart I’m planning on doing led projector retrofits on the low beams(dual beam units) and just not use the halogen high beams.(can’t find a led to fit the high beam and clear the cap and housing)
Hopefully it doesn’t give me any trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts