Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone here ever found an LED light that works on a smart fortwo passion coupe that doesn't GLOW when it is supposed to be turned off? I have tried numerous Sylvania LED's, and ALL of them GLOW when off, and it is somewhat noticeable. Sylvania's are out, so what other brands completely TURN OFF when the car is parked? TIA for any suggestions. I don't want to splice any resistors or anything into the lines.:shrug:

·
17,479 Posts
Basically any good quality CANBUS LED (they have built-in resistors) should do the trick. I usually go for CREE CANBUS LEDs. They seem to have the best hit rate with having good resistors and they seem to last the longest with the brightest light.

My license plate light, reverse light, 3rd brake light, side indicators, parking lights, and dome light are all CANBUS LEDs, with the the CREEs being in the license plate lights.

Reactions: TomLeeM

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miss Mercedes, Thank you for replying. Now, these can bus lights go COMPLETELY OUT (No glow) when turned off correct? The non can bus lights glow measurably even after 2 hours shut off and in the dark.

·
17,479 Posts
Correct. I learned about them myself after encountering the same problem. They go off and stay off! :) No hyperflashing on the turn indicators either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miss Mercedes,

Wow! Thanks for the info! I will definitely try the "can bus" type of these LED's just from your suggestion. All I want is the back up lights and the dome light which is so dim it might as well not even be there.
Thanks again!!

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts