Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I seek a little help with replacing the rear brake/turn lamps with LEDs. I know this subject has been beat to death over the years, unfortunately, a lot of pictures have since disappeared and threads left open-ended with apparently either no resolution or help provided.

I bought some Super Bright LED 1156 and 1157 components and naturally I am stuck with hyperflash. In fact, the idiot computer allows normal flashing for about the second flash and then it goes wild. So I guess I'm down to adding resistors. Does anyone have the wiring diagram available of the plug that goes into the plastic bulb assembly? Evilution's data is very outdated now and the wiring doesn't match up with my newer 2013 model.

For what it's worth, the white reverse LED lamps look very nice! The brake light, too. If only I could get turn signal to work... :(

Thanks for you help.

-Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought regular LEDs. And, I figured out the wires I need for the load resistors. I made a dash to Radio Shack and bought some 10 ohm 10 watt resistors figuring it would be sufficient. Not hardly! These things get blazing hot in a matter of seconds. Guess I need to go shopping for some 50 to 75 watt versions. But, I did test with these resistors for a short while and it does fix my hyperflashing issue. That's good news. I also found that I can solder directly to the metal traces on the backside of the bulb assembly and attach the resistor that way. It keeps from cutting the wires and makes for a cleaner installation.

-Steve

UPDATE 11/7/2013: I have reverted back to incandescent bulbs for the rear brake/turn signal. I have for the past couple of days been smelling the dreaded "burnt fish" coming from the rear. My load resistors have turned from bright gold to dark bronze. They are literally burning up from the load! 50 watts is nowhere near sufficient for this purpose. Perhaps 100w? or 200w? This is crazy. I don't know how you guys are dealing with this but it ain't working here. I'm staying incandescent until I can research this further. What a bummer!!! :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used the LEDs from super bright, along with their 50W load resistor kit. No problems so far (since 2013).

I do a lot of highway driving so I don't use my brakes much.

At this point I would try the CAN bus bulbs if I had the resistors fail. Assuming they'd fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts