Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 2013 smart fortwo ED and last night i pulled the stupidest move ever. I left my car charging but at the same time, I left my headlights on. Now my car won’t turn on at all. Can I simply jumpstart my car? Is there anything else I have to do?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sorry, there is no jump starting an electric car and simply driving away like a gas car.
It is a little more complex but not bad.
I do believe that all you have done is drained your 12 volt car "style" battery under the passenger side floor.
You need power from that 12 volt battery to initialize the electronics to make the connection for the traction battery to power the drive motors.
You have two choices. That I know of.
Buy a new 12 volt battery, if your original battery is older, or put a charger on your old battery an charge it up.
You should be good to go then.
If there is anything more I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will add needed information.
Good luck and plz keep us updated.
Take Care

·
Super Moderator
29,207 Posts
Don't the EDs have the warning chime for leaving the headlights on? :unsure:

·
Registered
258 Posts
With the KEY OFF, lift up the floor mats and foam foot rest on the passenger side and hook up a 12 volt charger, or one of those 'jump start boxes' to the battery terminals. Either might then allow you to turn on the KEY and activate the high voltage ie 'turn on the car'. Then the car's high voltage will continue to charge the 12v battery by itself, assuming there is sufficient %SOC as per the dash meter. Test that the car is ON by driving back and forth just to be sure. Then you can leave the KEY ON until the 12v battery is sufficiently charged. Plug in a 'cigar socket voltmeter' to conveniently indicate the battery is adequately charged up to a minimum of 12.6 volts.

So to this extent one is able to 'jump start' a SmartEV, similar to jump starting a Tesla ModelS which has terminals in the nosecone for just this purpose.
--

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sorry, there is no jump starting an electric car and simply driving away like a gas car.
It is a little more complex but not bad.
I do believe that all you have done is drained your 12 volt car "style" battery under the passenger side floor.
You need power from that 12 volt battery to initialize the electronics to make the connection for the traction battery to power the drive motors.
You have two choices. That I know of.
Buy a new 12 volt battery, if your original battery is older, or put a charger on your old battery an charge it up.
You should be good to go then.
If there is anything more I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will add needed information.
Good luck and plz keep us updated.
Take Care
Yes, you CAN jump the battery on the ED. Read the owner's manual. Just connect another car battery to the ED battery the usual way. Alternatively, connect a battery charger to it. That is what I did when I left the marker lights on once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts