Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find one and sit in it to see if I fit, but maybe someone has some experience here.

I'm a very tall female - six foot seven, and with a forty inch inseam. So I'm basically all leg. Most cars just don't fit. Someone told me a mini has great legroom, but I got physically trapped trying one out (not recommended).

Cars that do fit tend to be things that you wouldn't want to pay for all the gas they drink. My current ride is an old SUV with the driver's seat mounts moved back a few inches.

Has anyone with really long legs tried one?

·
Registered
517 Posts
There have been several reviewers who are six feet and higher who have raved about the smart's size - there was a video with a Miami Heat basketball player (no idea how tall he was) able to get in OK. At your height, your best option is to just get in yourself and see how you fit - but I think you have a pretty good chance.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Coyote

I think you are hosed.... several of the Brit Smart web sites have ongoing threads about this... sounds like most of the very tall...6' 4" and up folks who claim comfortable seating are those with long torsos and relatively short inseams---

The tall folks with inseams greater then 33"~34" are complaining that as a passenger the 451's new dash hits their knees. As driver, the car is dangerous because the distance from the brake pedal to the steering wheel is too short and they have to angle their knee out away from the wheel to apply the brakes... it can be done, but certainly not safe in a panic stop situation.... the long inseam folks say the car is just not comfortable for them because of this....

Several of them post that it does not look like the drivers seat can be moved further back with out extensive rework of the seat pan and attachments.... the floor area slopes up too steep to just move the seat mounting to the rear with the current mounting assembly...

Sorry I know this is not what you were hoping for...

However... find a pre 2007 Smart version.... unfortunately they are much more expensive---- On these same web sites I am talking about, almost all the very tall folks posting claim they fit just right into the 450 version Smart car

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I'm still waiting for feedback on some requests to the UK for definitive information on the 451 seats - the leg interference thing so far seems to be expressed only in the UK. We know that the driver's and passenger's seats are different, as are their attachment locations. Right now I have a gut feeling that the problem stems from swapping the seats from side-to-side without changing the floor pan and attachments. I can't believe that M-B/smart would go to the expense of tooling up unique RHD tridions in light of all the cost saving measures put in place. Then too, there could be some difference in the steering column by moving it to RHD. If it turns out that this is a problem unique to the UK 451, we should have no problem here with LHDs.

·
Registered
931 Posts
During my recent test drive I (5'8") had an issue with the brake pedal itself. I had a problem adjusting to its height and positioning causing me to make abrupt stops as opposed to gradual stops. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
6' 7"

My tall and handsome husband is 6' 7". When we test drove a 2004 (I think) Smart, he had no problem with the position of the seat. And there was plenty of head room (He has a 38" inseam). There's hope! Clearly you need to try it on for yourself. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mish in (it's a dry heat) Arizona.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I had to pull the driver seat up several clicks to comfortably reach the pedals. As Mish said, though, you need to try it for yourself. I've seen alot of big guys get in these cars on You tube...maybe surf there a bit and see what you can find. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 6'2" 300 pounds plus. I was really surprised about the room. Also I was surprised about getting out of the car. You sit up high and step down out of the car rather than pull yourself up. Much easier on the knees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like it is worth my while to visit and try. Especially with Mish's comment about her 6'7 husband with the 38 inch inseam. That is right in my territory!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there!

I live in Canada, but travel often to NY and LA where I have many patients (I am in cosmetic surgery)... there's plenty of leg room in The SmartCar.

I am 6'6" and have a large body (I was a "nose tackle" on the Harvard football team)... but I don't have any problem to fit in a a SmartCar.

I have five (5) "SmartCar" at home (a big family)... and we all love our SmartCars, even if we have two (2) Hummers (H2) and one Suburban.

We love the SmartCar

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
One more, here, Coyote. I'm 6'6" and have driven smarts in the US for over 35,000 miles since April 2006. I cannot drive with the seat in the far rear position... too far away from the pedals.

I also test drove one of the new ones when they were in St. Louis. Same deal. Plenty of room. Get ready to smile.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com, St. Louis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK - I finally tried one. It fits, which amazed me. I'm just a bit over 6'7" and am mostly leg (40 or 41 inch inseam) .. I can still reach the pedals with the seat all the way back, but it is pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I am starting to think one of the Brits I thought had a clue, is all wet... Kane aka evilution is the one I was referring to in my post above...

Seems there may be an issue with a Left Hand Drive designed car converted to Right Hand drive that may impact leg room for long inseams....OR Kane is just an obtuse hard case...hard to tell from this far away

sorry if I initially gave coyote cause for concern

Best bet is to try one out and see

But do be mindful of full panic stop and knee in steering wheel issues

We own an Xterra, because of my leg length this is a concern for me when driving that vehicle--- So it would seem reasonable that it may also be an issue in the Smart car--- for some folks....

OTOH...As long as a driver is aware of the problem--- It usually can be mitigated by just being aware, and driving further ahead of the traffic like we do on motorcycles to avoid any extreme panic stop situations

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
Posted elsewhere, but here's some info from the NCAP crash testing:

Front impact
The passenger cell remained stable during the impact. Structures in the dashboard presented a risk of injury to the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I fit pretty well in the smart I test drove. This was one of the cars on tour. I just about always would like a little more leg room, but it will work for me. Lots of head room though, and it felt roomy in general. I've ordered a yellow/black/black one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts