Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked but my searches came up blank.
What is the leg room like in the Smart Car?
I'm 6'5 and I fit in some small cars but not others.
For example I fit ok in a VW Beetle but not in a Mini.
The tour wont be in the St. Louis area till October, so I'd like some feed back about comfort levels befoer then.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Supposedly 6'5" people are able to fit...but, that is the height that is metioned as the outer limit. Maybe buy the cabrio and go fo the windblown hair look whenever possible.

Your comment about the MINI surprises me. With the seat cranked down a way and two of three notches from the rear position I was very comfortable at 6'2". I woould think three more inches could've fit nicely - maybe it's the knees in the dash problem more than headroom?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I have to move the seat forward to drive so I would expect 6'5" would be realistic. I wouldn't worry about height issues. The issue to worry about is side room. The car is narrower than a normal car and sometimes it can feel cramped. If you're tall and narrow, no problem. If you're tall and "not narrow" you might have an issue.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Supposedly 6'5" people are able to fit...but, that is the height that is metioned as the outer limit. Maybe buy the cabrio and go fo the windblown hair look whenever possible.

Your comment about the MINI surprises me. With the seat cranked down a way and two of three notches from the rear position I was very comfortable at 6'2". I woould think three more inches could've fit nicely - maybe it's the knees in the dash problem more than headroom?
I am surprised about his Mini comment too, although I do think probably like you say - its the leg room around the dash that would be his issue. From what I can remember from the test drive, and from the pictures, I think the fortwo is a little more open around the legs. And for sure, the Fortwo has more head room then the MINI:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hey Scotchdrnkr, you're in St. Louis! Come on over to Kirkwood and sit in ours. I'm 6'6" and have driven smart cars for 15 months now. Impossible for me to drive it without moving the seat FORWARD. I'm not sure how the new passive restraint knee portions will effect the new models, but I'd guess Mercedes would be smart enough to continue to make it very comfortable for all of us taller drivers.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts