Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just doing a little research on the California Vehicle Lemon Law and wondering if anyone here has had to Lemon Law a car (and been successful). Curious about what the first steps should be, is a lawyer needed, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have no Cali experience but have been an expert witness in Texas arbitration

Read your warranty very carefully (I have not seen it yet) read the MB arbitration sections

Log on to your state attorney General's or State DoT web site and read the current Lemon Law descriptions

Document every thing

Make all demands on the dealer in writing (get complete copies of work orders with your customer complaint and their resolution attempts)

You must notify regional people for assistance
You must notify manufacture for assistance
You must have XXX number of attempts to correct THE SAME PROBLEM
(XXX determined by state)

They (they dealer) are not required to return all your money
You will not get back taxes you paid to the state
They are not required to offer you a NEW vehicle
Most dealers will "Buy Back" (at book value) to escape arbitration costs in many states
If it goes to arbitration you will incur costs

Lemon Law is (generally) NOT a good deal for a customer if the problem can be corrected to some reasonable use or original functionality

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ever stand next to an ant hill and start to itch?

I pick up my Passion Coupe on 5/08/08 with $6000.00 in options and counting. This email thread has made me feel nervous.

·
Super Moderator
29,030 Posts
I pick up my Passion Coupe on 5/08/08 with $6000.00 in options and counting. This email thread has made me feel nervous.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask - $6K in options? Gold plated shifter? Diamond studded brake pedal? I'm just at a loss as to how any amount of options could add up to six thousand dollars. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't fret too much. Forums always draw out more of the problem stories than the success stories. Fortunately, we have a good number of those too. Any cars have problems, but the high likelihood is yours will be fine. Read all the happy owner stories if you start to worry too much!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you VERY much SmartEnuf. That is super helpful. I'm in no hurry and just learning about my options in the worst case scenario.

I'd rather just get this thing running have it behind me, but I've only owned it about 40 days and it's already had *two weeks* out of service.. for the same issue. I am certain my dealer is trying very hard to remedy it.. but for a car with 300 miles on it total, this is decidedly un-fun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's the list.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask - $6K in options? Gold plated shifter? Diamond studded brake pedal? I'm just at a loss as to how any amount of options could add up to six thousand dollars. :)
* Eclipse Stereo Tuner with GPS. backup camera, DVD, XM Satelite, Digital AM/FM (extra module), six speakers, subwoofer and two amplifiers - $3295.00
* Extended warranty - $695.00
* LoJack - $595.00
* Paint and leather protectant - $300.00
* Carpet and rubber floor mats - $75.00
* Doug Thorley Headers, Smart cat-back system - $315.00
* Smartbillet accessories $670.00:
^ 4pc front grill set
^ Pedal cover set
^ Bumper plugs (set of 3)
^ Rear nerf bars (6pc set)
^ Shifter box dress up
^ 3rd brake dress up
^Tailgate strut covers
^ Tailgate lift handle
^ Door sills

I have not selected my new wheels and tires. I have ordered the 3-5 hole spacers. Once I receive them, I will spend around $1200.00 for wheels and $600.00 for tires. So, the total will be closer to $8000.00

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thank you for the wise advice.

Don't fret too much. Forums always draw out more of the problem stories than the success stories. Fortunately, we have a good number of those too. Any cars have problems, but the high likelihood is yours will be fine. Read all the happy owner stories if you start to worry too much!
I feel better now.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Thank you VERY much SmartEnuf. That is super helpful. I'm in no hurry and just learning about my options in the worst case scenario.

I'd rather just get this thing running have it behind me, but I've only owned it about 40 days and it's already had *two weeks* out of service.. for the same issue. I am certain my dealer is trying very hard to remedy it.. but for a car with 300 miles on it total, this is decidedly un-fun.
Glad I could help! I hope it works out well for you; I'm sure (hoping) smart takes care of this professionally to maintain their good will.

Not to diminish your problems, but I have had my smart for 6 weeks and over 1000 miles problem-free so far. I wanted to chime in with a positive owner story to balance out the problems raised in this forum.

·
Registered
798 Posts
it has to be that gas-powered turtleneck that kicked the price way up :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
* Eclipse Stereo Tuner with GPS. backup camera, DVD, XM Satelite, Digital AM/FM (extra module), six speakers, subwoofer and two amplifiers - $3295.00
* Extended warranty - $695.00
* LoJack - $595.00
* Paint and leather protectant - $300.00
* Carpet and rubber floor mats - $75.00
* Doug Thorley Headers, Smart cat-back system - $315.00
* Smartbillet accessories $670.00:
^ 4pc front grill set
^ Pedal cover set
^ Bumper plugs (set of 3)
^ Rear nerf bars (6pc set)
^ Shifter box dress up
^ 3rd brake dress up
^Tailgate strut covers
^ Tailgate lift handle
^ Door sills

I have not selected my new wheels and tires. I have ordered the 3-5 hole spacers. Once I receive them, I will spend around $1200.00 for wheels and $600.00 for tires. So, the total will be closer to $8000.00

Wow, cool deal. Gotta post some pictures, especially of that Eclipse stereo tuner which sounds great to me!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just did the Eclipse 6620 GPS, two added speakers to the back, with Sirius and Sirius Traffic. Install looks like it belongs. Worse part was finding the double din face plate. Thanks smartsrus from the UK for your speedy delivery. Installer managed to hook up everything originally installed including the subwoofer and glovebox stereo plug. He used a VW harness. Will post pictures soon with location on GPS and Sirius antenna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts