Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all has tuned their 453 .9l turbo?
Was it noticeable?
While some manufacturers are claiming close to 20% increase, are customers seeing those claims to be somewhat accurate? (15hp or so)
Are you seeing those estimated increase in HP with tune alone or are supporting mods also needed. (exhaust, CAI, etc)

I have zero desire to make my Cabriolet make more noise at this time, but a bit more power can be fun.

What should be my first performance mod that I can actually get these days.
Someone please help me spend my lunch money on some fun.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
As I have posted here several times over the last few years, I installed one of the mild tune boxes on my 453. There is absolutely a very noticeable performance gain. Mine is from a German company and advertised 20 foot pounds torque gain and 15-20% horsepower gain. I don’t know exactly what gain I got but I do believe it “feels” like at least what is advertised. The Renault motor is a good bit more sophisticated that the Mitsubishi motor and responds very nicely to such a mod. If you stay off the gas and live in flatland geography you can still excellent mpg. If I travel at 45-50 mph without stop and go I see above 50 indicated mpg regularly.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Our 2017 453 Cabrio has a few updates , did the high flow air filter , and added the Lorinser power pack along with the Lorinser exhaust system. There is an added feel and the power is noticeable from the stock set up . Noise levels are a non-issue since this system complies to the European standards of sound pollution which are far more stricter than anything here in the USA . The Bonalume blow off valve isn’t a performance edition , just like the sound it can make on heavy acceleration and shifting (probably more so since I have a manual 5 speed) . I have no data on the hp increase , but Lorinser shows around 123 hp with their tune on a stock motor .

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...any change made to an engine...be it the suck side...blow side or both will require a new tune to get the most out of that mod...
...Cobb Access Port is a great tool to monitor and / or modify a tune...never try it on the smart but use it on the 818...
....I run a Split Second fuel / timing calibrator in my 451 with a different tune than OEM to manage the changes made to bigger injectors...boost and free flowing exhaust that it was not designed for...

Jetfuel...it's fun

·
Registered
139 Posts
As for the 451 ED model, I have the Steinbaur power module and it's a blast! It adds instant pep and 100% regen!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 453 with the Madness Go-pedal, K&N Air Filter and the Lorinser Performance Module. The Go-Pedal makes the throttle so much more responsive. No more having to dip half way into the throttle before the car starts to move. I leave mine set on the Eco(green LED) mode, which is more than enough for daily driving and the Wife. The Lorinser gives a noticeable kick, as stated above, and brings you close to Brabus numbers. Total time for the install on the Go-Pedal and Lorinser was like 1.5 hours. And, I took the time to route the Go-Pedal cable/control so it's right next to the drivers seat for easy access. The car is soooo much fun to drive and puts a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a 453 with the Madness Go-pedal, K&N Air Filter and the Lorinser Performance Module. The Go-Pedal makes the throttle so much more responsive. No more having to dip half way into the throttle before the car starts to move. I leave mine set on the Eco(green LED) mode, which is more than enough for daily driving and the Wife. The Lorinser gives a noticeable kick, as stated above, and brings you close to Brabus numbers. Total time for the install on the Go-Pedal and Lorinser was like 1.5 hours. And, I took the time to route the Go-Pedal cable/control so it's right next to the drivers seat for easy access. The car is soooo much fun to drive and puts a smile on your face.
Yes, the turbo kicks in so fast in 1st gear that the 453 really takes off!

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...yep...all your gains come from the performance module...
Lorinser is in the business of strapping a car down on a dyno and getting every bit of what the engineer left on the table...

Jetfuel...it comes with a price...

·
Registered
29 Posts
...yep...all your gains come from the performance module...
Lorinser is in the business of strapping a car down on a dyno and getting every bit of what the engineer left on the table...

Jetfuel...it comes with a price...
The Lorinser is not available in the USA it seems?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts