Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people pay any money for the pack that’s got the inertia fuse blown? Has brand new tires and front wheel upgrades. Don’t see much value other than some of the rear panels that are undamaged. Just let the insurance take it and probably get peanuts for it?

Tia
Bobbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone smashed into my car and totalled it last year, but I was still able to sell it through craigslist.org for much more than the insurance company offered me. It might be worth trying to sell it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone bought the whole car "as is" with the intention of getting it up and running, so that worked out. I hope he did figure it out and is enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The inertia fuse is not located in the battery pack, and so presumably the battery pack is still good. Considering that new battery packs cost somewhere around $20K, you would think that the used battery pack would be worth something.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
All depends on how much hassle you want to invest in parting out.
Here is a prevous post (Not from me)
$11,000 for a battery pack. With warranty.
Alexey Malakhov
Registered

Joined Apr 20, 2019
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 Apr 20, 2019
Hello,

I have a 2014 Smart For Two electric with 20,000 km which I purchased a year ago for $10,000.

The local MINI service center here in Toronto advised me yesterday the EV battery needs to be replaced. The MINI center will be able to install it for around $1,200. The cost of the OEM EV battery from them is $11,000.

I found a few used EV batteries availabe at the junk yards here in Canada and more in USA for around $1,000. The problem is the MINI refuse to deal with aftermarket part and there is no trained independent mechanic locally who would do the job. I found one British mechanic who claimed to be an expert in Smarts, but after researching the issue he refused as well.
END POST.....................................

Also the buyer may want some reassurance that it is a good battery pack. Are you able to accomplish that?
Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to see what they want the buy back amount to be and settlement. It was a 15 with brand new tires and new back sized rims up front. Central Ohio.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have to see what they want the buy back amount to be and settlement. It was a 15 with brand new tires and new back sized rims up front. Central Ohio.

So you’ve got several hundred dollars right there. The Individual parts are easily worth more than what they would want for the entire car. It’s how the junk yards stay in business.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I did not know this was an option. But the other guys insurance agent contacted me to get my statement and mentioned that I could go directly through them. He said going through them won’t put a ding on my insurance for having a claim even though it’s not my fault. Also they would have given me a rental (I don’t have the rental add on to my policy). What are the downsides? Are they going to come up with a much lower payoff amount ? I’m guessing this will come back as a total and not repairable.

Thanks for your collective knowledge on the subject.

Bobbie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts