Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we are finding almost all charging stations in the area are CCS plugs, however the I need a Level 2 (correct?) is there an adaptor?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Oooh. Not that I'm aware of. Usually the DC fast chargers have 1 Level 2 somewhere around, at least here. Try the PlugShare app if you have a smart phone.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
349 Posts
CCS1 plugs are the just the "Combined Charging System" of J1772 plugs and DC fast charging plugs. J1772 is what smart has. Level 1 is 120volts, level 2 is 240 volts. Backwards compatable, CCS should work just fine. (Have you tried it?) No need for any adapter. source: EV Charging Connector Types | Enel X

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
An ID.4 owner asked me to help her plug in to an Electrify America station I was charging at. The J-1772 plug I was using plugged right into her CCS receptacle on the ID.4, but I can't see how you could plug the CCS-1 into the J-1772 receptacle. The bottom part would slam into the side of the smart before you'd be able to completely insert into the J-1772.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
47 Posts
A J1772 extension cable should fit physically, but not sure the data negotiation and power is carried the same on a CCS plug.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's interesting because when I first read your thread title I understood the problem and, like you, figured there'd be a reasonably priced adapter that could be used to convert a CCS plug to a simple J-1772. I did a quick search on Google and while I found several CCS to Tesla adapters I never found a single CCS to J-1772 adapter.

My guess is there's simply not a market for this adapter since CCS is designed to be a "fast charger" and J-1772 is still really slow even when it's pumping 240 volt. My further guess is that the people who own/run the charging station wouldn't want a J-1772 vehicle using one of their chargers for hours because the charge rate is so low.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
CCS is DC and J-1772 is AC. (Just clicked after reading up on Wikipedia)....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks after a bit of reading I learned that too. However I also discovered as you guys said that there is a Telsa adapter. So I can go from Tesla to J1772 which would open up a lot more possibilites

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I went to a local Walmart yesterday afternoon where I was surprised with a new Electrify America station. 4 stations with 7 CCS and 1 CHaDeMo, 0 J-1772. I guess that is the new trend. Sigh.

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you can get the Tesla adapter to work. I know the superchargers are plug and play meaning they read VINs and charge the appropriate owner. I don't know about their destination chargers how they work, maybe just free...

Just in case you aren't already aware of them there is a company called Duosida that sells combo Level 1/Level 2 EVSEs that plug into wall outlets.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When folks mention the 'Tesla adapter' likely they mean the CHADEMO adapter that Tesla Motors created (for ~$450.00US) specifically for Tesla car owners to plug into a CHADEMO charger via a CHADEMO plug. CHADEMO plugs are unique and matching sockets can be found on Nissan Leafs as well as a few other EVs. Also one out of 4 (or is it 8) plugs on Electrify America stations are CHADEMO plugs which fit into the Tesla adapter providing DC 'fast' charging for Teslas. So there is no free lunch here for EVs with J1772 capability, none, nada, nichts.

I originally purchased one of these but have only used it twice due to the ever increasing ubiquitousness of Tesla Superchargers.

Btw, chademo is a meaningless term crafted originally in Japanese because it sounds cool in that spoken language :)

Hope this tedious comment might clarify for some.
--

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
349 Posts
from chademo.com, "CHAdeMO is a proprietary term for the fast charging infrastructure that the Association promotes. “CHAdeMO” is an abbreviation of “CHArge de MOve,” equivalent to “charge for moving,” and is a pun for “O cha demo ikaga desuka.” in Japanese, meaning “Let's have a cup of tea while charging.”" ;) :coffee:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
CCS is DC and J-1772 is AC. (Just clicked after reading up on Wikipedia)....

Yes, a car equipped for CCS charging will take either the J1772 level 2 AC plug or a DC CCS plug in the same charging socket, but if the car is equipped for only AC Level 2 charging, the CCS plug won't plug in. A CCS plug is only for DC fast charging. period.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I went to a local Walmart yesterday afternoon where I was surprised with a new Electrify America station. 4 stations with 7 CCS and 1 CHaDeMo, 0 J-1772. I guess that is the new trend. Sigh.

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you can get the Tesla adapter to work. I know the superchargers are plug and play meaning they read VINs and charge the appropriate owner. I don't know about their destination chargers how they work, maybe just free...

Just in case you aren't already aware of them there is a company called Duosida that sells combo Level 1/Level 2 EVSEs that plug into wall outlets.

Considering that every EV now made and sold in N America is equipped for DC fast charging, charging stations that only provide L2 AC charging are essentially obsolete except for home or small-business charging. So it would make no sense for a future-looking network like Charge America (a result of the US's legal action against Volkswagen for their Diesel scandal) to incllude L2 charging.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks after a bit of reading I learned that too. However I also discovered as you guys said that there is a Telsa adapter. So I can go from Tesla to J1772 which would open up a lot more possibilites
Yes. Look up "Tesla Tap" (which of course are only for the Tesla "destination chargers") the adapters are a bit pricey though.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
47 Posts
A full CCS plug provides both AC and DC, so the AC tap would change a Smart, if it can be connected. However, it appears that chargers are not required to support the AC charging on the current standard. I'm unsure if you can tell in any way without trying it unless the charger says someplace.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A full CCS plug provides both AC and DC, so the AC tap would change a Smart, if it can be connected. However, it appears that chargers are not required to support the AC charging on the current standard. I'm unsure if you can tell in any way without trying it unless the charger says someplace.
So you could modify the charging socket to make physical clearance for the HV DC part of the plug and it would work? And if someone has a charger that supports both why would they choose the slower AC charging?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
47 Posts
My understanding is that a car with CCS can use either the J1772 for level 1/2 or will pull DC from the extra contacts in the CCS. The CCS standard is inclusive of both AC and DC, but the chargers are not required to provide AC. If one does provide AC, you should be able to use it with a J1772 extension cable.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The car, but the plug/charger side is not connected neutral and hot AC side. I'm pretty sure they don't want a slow poke taking up a CCS charger spot....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Took a sneak peek while at Albertsons with our gasser...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts