Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
so basically we are screwed LOL. No public charging stations in the NYC area
According to PlugShare there are many public J1772 plugs available in the NY area. You might need to be a member of a network for some of them (e.g., Blink or ChargePoint), but you can find free ones around at parks, stores, etc. In WV, for example, all of our state parks with lodges have J1772 and Tesla Destination chargers that are free for visitors.

Having the Tesla Destination adapter (not for Superchargers of course) is handy and gives you more options. I know a Bolt owner with one that uses it regularly.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
so basically we are screwed LOL. No public charging stations in the NYC area
Not sure. NYC is huge. I'd be happy to search PlugShare for you but not sure your area? (I just went to search "New York City" and PlugShare sent me to City Hall. There are several J-1772 in Lower Manhatten it seems)?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
@Jeb Baker That's a great idea if the two AC power pins were actually populated in the CCS-1 plug at the charging stations, which my picture of one of them shows, (at least on that particular one), are not.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
36 Posts
According to PlugShare there are many public J1772 plugs available in the NY area. You might need to be a member of a network for some of them (e.g., Blink or ChargePoint), but you can find free ones around at parks, stores, etc. In WV, for example, all of our state parks with lodges have J1772 and Tesla Destination chargers that are free for visitors.

Having the Tesla Destination adapter (not for Superchargers of course) is handy and gives you more options. I know a Bolt owner with one that uses it regularly.
Nice advice, here are some details on it:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
@BWalter Is there any chance of setting up a charging solution at home, or suggest to an employer to install in the parking lot?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Took a sneak peek while at Albertsons with our gasser...

OK, I don't see any AC power prongs - just the pilot and proximity prongs (used for signaling), a ground prong, and the big DC prongs (actually sockets).

So to be clear:

1. The CAR side of a CCS combo can accept either a standard J-plug for level 1/2 charging or the CCS combo plug (shown) for DC fast charging.

2. BUT, a CCS combo PLUG only does fast DC charging.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Regarding the Tesla tap adapter, I'd love to see someone publich a schematic and BOM to make one myself at much lower cost...

·
Registered
2008 Passion Coupe "Lewis Hambach"
45 Posts
Took a sneak peek while at Albertsons with our gasser...

Yes, this does not provide AC power on the J1772 portion. Those 3 ports are just used for communication, and the DC ports on the bottom are the only energy source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, the Smart cannot use any DC Fast Chargers. The CCS Combo plug would never fit and the Smart car does not have any DC Charging capability only the level 2 AC. Also, DC Fast charging is very expensive (~$1/min) compared to Public Level 2 charging @ ~$1/hr (or free).. Would love the capability since the 17KW battery could be filled in like 5-10min (compared to my Bolt and RAV4 EV which takes an 40-45min to reach 80%). The PlugShare app (or URL - PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You ) should be on every EV owners phone/tablet in ordeR to find the closest charging station (or even someone’s home that has allowed sharing). Heck, with level one charging ANY 15A outlet can provide a free bit of emergency juice.. ;)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Also, DC Fast charging is very expensive (~$1/min) compared to Public Level 2 charging @ ~$1/hr (or free)..
I have never heard of DC fast charging costing $1 a minute. Electrify America varies by state. In Pennsylvania, it is $.16 a minute up to 90 kW and $.32 up to 350 kW

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Around here Electrify America's pricing is $0.43/kWh, fast DC or Level-2.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts