Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had to replace a clutch plate, just because it plain "wore out"? iIf so, how many miles did it last? I have an early 08 with 104 K miles on the original plate and yesterday I readjusted the actuator and I have only one mark still showing, so I suppose I must be getting close to needing a new clutch plate. I plan on several long trips next summer, so I'm wondering if I should replace it now while I have the chance. Sure would have to have it go out on the road (and the possibility it might mess up the pressure plate or flywheel face.) Add to that, I'm a real tightwad....It really puckers me to have to pay someone else to do something I can do myself!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clutch question

Regarding my last post about clutch life. Took a 30 mile tri;p yeasterday after readjusting my clutch actuator a week or so ago and when I started to return home, my clutch started to act strangely.....every time it would engage after coming to a stop it would engage suddenly and sometimes with an itial bump, then an instant engagement. It wasn't so noticeable after 1st gear but I could tell it wasn't normal. When I got home, I removed the clutch actuator and disassembled it. (not for the faint-hearted...proceed slowly if you attempt this and be very careful when disengaging the strong spring involved.) Long story short....The steel rod that transfers the motion from the unit to the clutch throw-out lever has a ball on the end that fits into a socket in the plastic gear inside the actuator unit. The socket was worn to the point that when it reached it's end of travel the ball would jump out of it's socket. I'm sure it would be hopeless to try finding individual parts to repair it, so I just replaced it with one from my spare stash of parts. Wlhen I put the replacement in and adjusted it, I still had three marks left on the adjustment indicator telling me that my initial fear that my clutch plate must be about worn out was wrong...The wear was in the actuator !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts