Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will somebody develop a lift kit for the smart -or at least 4 raising spacers?

I'm not kidding; some of us are ready to trade body roll for clearing armadillos.

(FWIW, this question may never have been conjured in the first place were the speed governed just 7MPH higher than 93MPH which is all but universal to trucks.)

I'm very interested in seeing mild lift kits...

·
Registered
311 Posts
the rear could be lifted like a body lift where you put spacers in between the sub and the body, just need longer bolts.
the front could be done the same way since the front cross member has for bolts that hold it and the rack on. would just need longer studs for the strut towers and extend the steering colum a little...
or
could have a shop re arch the springs but your lift would only be as far as the down travel of the shocks and it would ride more harsh...
or
build a steel front bumper so it doesnt matter if you hit the armadillo...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rear could be lifted like a body lift where you put spacers in between the sub and the body, just need longer bolts.
the front could be done the same way since the front cross member has four bolts that hold it and the rack on. would just need longer studs for the strut towers and extend the steering colum a little...
or
could have a shop re arch the springs but your lift would only be as far as the down travel of the shocks and it would ride more harsh...
or
build a steel front bumper so it doesnt matter if you hit the armadillo...
Thank You for replying. I hope a 3/4"to 1" lift can be engineered without extending the steering column if possible (another part to buy and install). In the meantime: I'm showing my appreciation in your interest by ordering from you guys( Order #***000061) -Laszlo

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keeping the lowest parts of the car at the same height won't help clear road trash.
Hi Randy; Wow, thank you for helping me realize something i almost missed!

Yes, the lowest parts of the car hitting road trash would still be the deDion tube ends, and happily , not my front bumper skirting...

But a subframe-body lift (for the body on frame back half obviously) vs. a Suspension Lift would give me the added bonus of maintaining my powertrain's center of gravity; thereby minimizing my increased center of gravity. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, just to continue the thoughts because, well, just because. If you raised the body then you could install taller tires and that would get you some clearance for the road trash.

Jeff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just to continue the thoughts because, well, just because. If you raised the body then you could install taller tires and that would get you some clearance for the road trash.

Jeff :rolleyes:
185/60/15 $55.00 at TIRERACK adds another 1.17" lift.
Maybe not enough for deep snow, but unplowed roads would be cake.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Alternatively, you could lower it and put a nice front skirt on that barely clears the ground and then just watch the armadillos fly away as they bounce off the front skirt.

:blowingup:

Sylen

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alternatively, you could lower it and put a nice front skirt on that barely clears the ground and then just watch the armadillos fly away as they bounce off the front skirt.

:blowingup:

Sylen
Don't think I haven't thought of a bozosoku style front. I prefer the lift idea. More useful. Just thought of another benefit right now as I type:
Q-tip in the Buick Roadmaster ahead of you is stopped at the green light like any good citizen would do, you can't make the right because her car is too long to squeeze past. Easily put the two right wheels onto the curb and you are home free.

·
Registered
442 Posts
185/60/15 $55.00 at TIRERACK adds another 1.17" lift...
Buzzkill rz back again...
1/2 of 1.2 = .6"

Not a lot on paper but they'd probably fit and that 1/2" means a lot in clearance and not too much performance loss. (3 MPH diff)

Of course, a 6 layer kevlar skid plate...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts