Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
Thank you for the build notes! I've seen someone put 30+ inch tires on a Smart before and they ended up reporting that top speed was like 45 mph. That completely ruins the appeal.

I used to run 25.2-inch snow tires (185/70/15) on a stock suspension. The car still went 90 mph and the nearly 3-inch taller tire (my previous size was 195/50/15) gave me just enough ground clearance not to scrape off-road.

Unless you're planning on running a Dakar or are turbocharging the engine, there's no need for the super tall tires you see on Instagram. lol

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
Interesting about the 185/70/15 tires as I was running 185/60/15"s prior to the mod and I thought that was close. Did
you use the stock rear wheels and did you use any spacers or stiffer shocks to keep from rubbing. Why I ask is that
I am thinking of buying a 2016+ car which has a wider stance and increased horsepower to do another mod.. Also, did you run into the anti-skid activating intermittently on tight corners as this has happened even prior to the mod.

Ratchetwrist
I did it to my 2012. The rear tires rubbed on every bump and turn. The fronts also rubbed on every bump and turn. But after a few hundred miles it just stopped happening. Looks like the tires rubbed away at the plastic wheel well liners until they fit. No weird traction control engagements on the road, and I disabled the system when I got off-road.

Off-road, the little car got everywhere a 2wd pickup could go, and I won an award at an off-road endurance rally for "doing the most with the least." :)

Nowadays the car's back to a more normal stance, and I think its off-roading days are behind it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts