Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lifted the front of a smart 451?
Not found any posts on this subject, but I think a 1 to 2 inch lift of the
front end would look nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not sure if anyone has some only the front, but if I remember correctly you can use the springs from the electric smart for some lift. The other option is the Daystar lift kit but I think it's 3 or 4 inches of lift

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Right now the car s up on blocks as it won't start, I suspect it is either the shift mechanism or a shift motor. it is surrounded by 6 inches of snow, and the temp outside is a balmy 12 degrees. Much warmer than the -7 degrees last night.

with the Altimax tires(195/55 tires) before you couldn't put your hand between the tire and the wheel opening in front. now there are about 3 inches.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I have the same clearance issue, very tight on the front fenders. I thought about the daystar lift kit, but would only be using half of it...!

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
If these guys are still in business...... Daystar. They were a vendor, at our 2010 smart car nationals. 10 years ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a lot of lifting going on! Got to be close to 5 inches.... I am only wanting about 2 on the front only.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,575 Posts
I wonder if they still make those coil spring spacers that we used about 50 years ago to get that all important "gasser" look. They just twisted between the coils with a ratchet. Each spacer gave about an inch of lift. Check J C Whitney, they have everything.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
When I replaced my front springs/shocks, I found the last 3/4 turn f the spring was broken. Both sides!! I only had one side drop down onto the tire when I had to trailer it home.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
That is a lot of lifting going on! Got to be close to 5 inches.... I am only wanting about 2 on the front only.
The Daystar kit is only 2 inches. That car also has slightly trimmed fenders and massive tires, adding extra lift. You can do the 2 inch lift and keep your stock wheel/tire sizes. :)

Reactions: NW453

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that, M&M. I am not sure if it is a job I can undertake... never done any suspension work before, but sure would like to look!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
dhl..... i put the springs and struts/shocks from an electric on mine....got about 1 - 1 1/2 lift.......slightly firmer ride......ss

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Keep an eye on Ebay, sometimes they come up. Mine were from a yard in California, but he is out of them now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
got mine on ebay.....bunch of electric cars were parted out.....much cheaper than new replacements...and free lift....search my posts....3 years ago i think....ss

·
Registered
103 Posts
just got these, I started sending eBay sellers notes that were selling ed smarts and this seller had lots of them due to battery failures.

·
Registered
103 Posts
so today I did the rear ev/ed spring conversion. It was relatively easy, dropped bottom bolt off of shock used old scissor jack to expand the difference, then swap shock, and hardest part was properly aligning hole to replace bottom bolt for shock

about a 2 inch lift on rear, on Saturday I do the fronts.

I like the new firmer ride, takes the potholes and bad roads better

I am running 185/55/15 tires all 4 corners on 5.5 factory steel wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts