Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lifted the front of a smart 451?
Not found any posts on this subject, but I think a 1 to 2 inch lift of the
front end would look nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not sure if anyone has some only the front, but if I remember correctly you can use the springs from the electric smart for some lift. The other option is the Daystar lift kit but I think it's 3 or 4 inches of lift

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
Right now the car s up on blocks as it won't start, I suspect it is either the shift mechanism or a shift motor. it is surrounded by 6 inches of snow, and the temp outside is a balmy 12 degrees. Much warmer than the -7 degrees last night.

with the Altimax tires(195/55 tires) before you couldn't put your hand between the tire and the wheel opening in front. now there are about 3 inches.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I have the same clearance issue, very tight on the front fenders. I thought about the daystar lift kit, but would only be using half of it...!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If these guys are still in business...... Daystar. They were a vendor, at our 2010 smart car nationals. 10 years ago.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a lot of lifting going on! Got to be close to 5 inches.... I am only wanting about 2 on the front only.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,394 Posts
I wonder if they still make those coil spring spacers that we used about 50 years ago to get that all important "gasser" look. They just twisted between the coils with a ratchet. Each spacer gave about an inch of lift. Check J C Whitney, they have everything.

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
When I replaced my front springs/shocks, I found the last 3/4 turn f the spring was broken. Both sides!! I only had one side drop down onto the tire when I had to trailer it home.

·
17,372 Posts
That is a lot of lifting going on! Got to be close to 5 inches.... I am only wanting about 2 on the front only.
The Daystar kit is only 2 inches. That car also has slightly trimmed fenders and massive tires, adding extra lift. You can do the 2 inch lift and keep your stock wheel/tire sizes. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that, M&M. I am not sure if it is a job I can undertake... never done any suspension work before, but sure would like to look!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
dhl..... i put the springs and struts/shocks from an electric on mine....got about 1 - 1 1/2 lift.......slightly firmer ride......ss

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
Keep an eye on Ebay, sometimes they come up. Mine were from a yard in California, but he is out of them now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
got mine on ebay.....bunch of electric cars were parted out.....much cheaper than new replacements...and free lift....search my posts....3 years ago i think....ss

1 - 18 of 18 Posts