Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
ED springs finally in. Getting too old to fart around in 90 degree weather.

Stock ICE springs:

ED springs:

Not much change in the rear, but a good inch or more in the front, which is where it is needed.

So the question of alignment comes up. There doesn’t seem to be any caster or camber adjustment. The struts seem to be pretty well located and aligned in their towers, so no changes there. And I didn’t change the tie rod settings. Guess I’ll put some miles on it and see how it feels, how the tires look.

Makes my stock rims and wheels look pretty anemic in comparison.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
looks good, I really think you will need an alignment, I have one done in October then again after spring install, and there was a big difference with the new springs. I have since done the washer thing for the rear and put 15 mm spacers on rear only to give me back the offset as I am using 4 identical wheels and tires.

·
Registered
320 Posts
looks good, I really think you will need an alignment, I have one done in October then again after spring install, and there was a big difference with the new springs. I have since done the washer thing for the rear and put 15 mm spacers on rear only to give me back the offset as I am using 4 identical wheels and tires.
Do you have particulars on what was done on your alignment? What does the washer thing consist of?

And thank you again for sharing the conversion suggestion.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Took the smart out yesterday afternoon. Thing rides like my Cadillac Fleetwood with the Yokohamas, but still handles nicely. Haven't had any ABS warnings. Took it over to a school parking lot and put it through a bunch of sharp left and right turns to check. Nothing. May take it out on the highway today to see how it handles the bridge gaps on 495.

Stock 2009 and lifted 2015

21 - 24 of 24 Posts