Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Research Automotive Lighting

At Diode Dynamics, we want our fellow enthusiasts to be educated on automotive lighting products, so that they know they are purchasing the best products on the market. We have devoted this portion of our website to doing just that. Here you'll find information on different automotive lighting technologies, how they work and common misconceptions you'll see while shopping for your vehicle. We hope you enjoy learning all about lighting!

Any questions? Email us at [email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
17,345 Posts
I can't wait to see what acrylic stuff you'll come up with for smarts. :)

·
17,345 Posts
Do you have a page or link to Smart bulbs, etc? I tried to search, but don't see Smart listed. Thanks.
Patience young grasshopper, apparently they're working on it. :)

We now have a Smart Car on the vehicle testing log, so it won't be long before we release some new products :)

Nick C.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a page or link to Smart bulbs, etc? I tried to search, but don't see Smart listed. Thanks.
We currently have two Smart Car models on our Vehicle Testing log waiting to be scheduled.

Once we have product comparison shots, we will add them to the site and I will post threads with more details.

Personally, I'd like to see us put together an Angel eye kit for the Smart Cars. Especially with our new COB ring style.

Nick C.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
We currently have two Smart Car models on our Vehicle Testing log waiting to be scheduled.

Once we have product comparison shots, we will add them to the site and I will post threads with more details.

Personally, I'd like to see us put together an Angel eye kit for the Smart Cars. Especially with our new COB ring style.

Nick C.
Well................nothing in 6 weeks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Don't miss out on the Labor Day Sale! Now through Midnight Sept. 1st!

(314) 205-3033
Trying to figure out which bulbs are for the side turn signals, the ones on the door. Also, you guys have both a rear tail light bulb and a rear brake light build for the newer cars...but in the U.S. the same bulb is used for tail/brake/turn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to figure out which bulbs are for the side turn signals, the ones on the door. Also, you guys have both a rear tail light bulb and a rear brake light build for the newer cars...but in the U.S. the same bulb is used for tail/brake/turn.
According to Evilution, it's a:

ECE: W5W

BSN: 501
Thanks for the info guys! W5W is a standard 194 size but we still need to test to ensure the LEDs fit. LEDs are usually bigger than the incan bulbs they replace.

We usually list tail and turn separately because some people call it one thing and others another. I suppose we could combine the listing though!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! W5W is a standard 194 size but we still need to test to ensure the LEDs fit. LEDs are usually bigger than the incan bulbs they replace.

We usually list tail and turn separately because some people call it one thing and others another. I suppose we could combine the listing though!

A little confused... Your site lists LED bulbs for the sidemarkers, but now you're saying that you need to test to see if they fit? Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little confused... Your site lists LED bulbs for the sidemarkers, but now you're saying that you need to test to see if they fit? Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sorry, you originally asked about the turn signal- this is not the same as the sidemarker bulb in most vehicles, the sidemarker is the bulb that stays on all the time and does not flash, usually one in the rear and sometimes in the front. If it flashes, we call it a side turn signal or just turn signal bulb. The side turn signal bulbs usually have less clearance than a standard sidemarker but our SMD1 or SMD2 would definitely fit!

Like any other bulbs that are currently listed, we are currently listing all sidemarker bulbs that we know will fit without any issue. There are other bulbs we'd like to list but cannot yet until we confirm fitment. We carry quite a few different bulbs for each bulb size.

Obviously there are some vague areas in our current product listings, which again, is why we are looking forward to getting our hands on a Smart to test out. However, many people here demanded we put up listings, so we what we could for right now.

Thanks,
Paul
Product Development

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Paul,
I think I am the smart that you are going to use to test your products on a smart car and I can come in when you need me. I know at first you were moving into new quarters but that was a few months ago. So just let me know when you want to do it.
Mick (KillerBee)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paul,
I think I am the smart that you are going to use to test your products on a smart car and I can come in when you need me. I know at first you were moving into new quarters but that was a few months ago. So just let me know when you want to do it.
Mick (KillerBee)
Ah perfect! We'll get in touch shortly- we finally have some openings in a few weeks!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Trying to figure out which bulbs are for the side turn signals, the ones on the door.
Sorry, you originally asked about the turn signal- this is not the same as the sidemarker bulb in most vehicles, the sidemarker is the bulb that stays on all the time and does not flash, usually one in the rear and sometimes in the front. If it flashes, we call it a side turn signal or just turn signal bulb. The side turn signal bulbs usually have less clearance than a standard sidemarker but our SMD1 or SMD2 would definitely fit!
BUT, on a smart fortwo there is a sidemarker on the trailing edge of the front fenders.

It DOES NOT stay on all the time but does flash L or R with the turn signals.

See below as it may be a very tight fit for an LED replacement?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BUT, on a smart fortwo there is a sidemarker on the trailing edge of the front fenders.

It DOES NOT stay on all the time but does flash L or R with the turn signals.

See below as it may be a very tight fit for an LED replacement?
This is why we carry the SMD2, its slim profile makes it a good fit even in the smallest housings. I think it would work perfectly for that location:
194 SMD2 LED (one) - 194 Wedge - Bulbs By Size - Lighting

1 - 20 of 50 Posts