Smart Car of America Forum banner

Lighting the key slot?

Tags
lighting
8K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Dan500 
#1 ·
Several folks have noted they don't like not having a lighted key slot on their smarts. Seems like we have a lot of very inventive members here, always coming up with something new. How about putting your minds to this problem and working up a DIY for a key slot light - LED, maybe? Thanks! :)

#9 ·
I run a small vinyl sign business out of my house to keep me busy on the weekends. I would be able to make glow in the dark vinyl stickers which would be pre-cut rings to fit perfectly around the key slot if there was enough interest. I haven't priced it out yet, but I assume they would only be a few dollars each and I could mail them in a normal envelope so there would be no shipping. The key slot doesn't bother me, so I wouldn't put one on my car, but if anyone is interested let me know, and I'll do a little more research and possibly production if I could make them cheap enough. That said I could make just about anything as a vinyl sticker, so let me know if you have any other cool ideas.

#10 ·
Evilbean, great idea. I've priced some of the sheets and the lowest I could find was $14 for 8 x 11; if you could do the rings for a couple of bucks that would be a real deal. My only reservation is that the glow stuff is always on, whether you're in the car or not. Any idea how fast it loses its glow properties? :)

#12 ·
That's because your eyes are bad! :D

Sorry. My thought is it's just something else to fool around with on the car and should be easy to do. A lot of this stuff isn't "needed" but it's fun to do and keeps us off the streets and out of those nasty bars in Indy! :)

#15 ·
WOW, the glow-in-the-dark vinyl is more expensive than I thought. I think I would have to sell the rings for $3 or $4 a pop, with no shipping or anything, and I'd have to have enough interest to sell at least 20 of them for it to be worth my trouble. Looks like Fimo might be the better option. If anyone wants non-glowing decals for their rear window or something I wouldn't need to have multiple orders.

#27 ·
Start Button for smart 451

Wow!
I really want a Start Button to replace the ignition barrel on my 451.
I have a start button on my Lexus and I am in the habit of putting the key in my pocket after I unlock the door.

Evilution: Here is another project for you if you would be so kind. Thanks.

P.S. This is such a good idea that I am going to borrow it and star a new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.