Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when I lock or unlock my car (with the key fob) and the vehicle lights do a fast flash dance?

I can't find anything in the owners manual.

I have a Smart for 2 from 2008

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Change the battery in the key fob...

On page 252 on the '09 model.......
" The remote control's transmitter battery is
almost spent when the turn signals flash
rapidly nine times in a row when locking the
vehicle.
If you do not replace the transmitter
battery, after about 100 more times you will no
longer be able to lock or unlock the vehicle
using the remote control."

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Put new batterys in your Fob... Its tells you it wants new one... Change them both...
Go to Wal-Mart to get the Freshest new stock... Pop the cover open change the battery and snap it back together just that fast...

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Make sure the contacts in the fob are clean when you replace the battery. And a good idea to rotate keys occasionally as the unused key could be forgotten by the car if it isn't used occasionally.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/one-my-key-fobs-quit-working-78729/

This mentions the 'not using one of the remote fobs and after a set time it quits working'

Sounds like it is some sort of programmed security for a lost key to disable it from working. I usually try to rotate keys when I do an oil change. I did have trouble with one of my remotes and took it apart to clean the rubber button covers and tightened the battery connections, that seems to have helped. I think I do need a new rubber keys pad as the icons on the buttons are no longer readable.

I was getting the 9 flashes and replaced the battery, still got the flashes so I did some FOB cleaning.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
At my dealership (can't speak for others) IF one of your keys stops working (AND the only reason is the car forgot it exists) we will do a reprogram for free (during the warranty period)?

The pain is you have to bring ALL the keys for that car in AND it takes about an hour?

I suggest to my clients that they rotate the keys about once a MONTH (that way if they forget and only do it once every three months it shouldn't be any issue)?

I know of 3 clients that have had the car forget that a particular key works. In each case, the owner put one key away (drawer, hook, etc) and only used one key and after 6-8 months they tried to use the "spare" key and it wouldn't work?

·
Super Moderator
17,653 Posts
Isn't that if you also press a button like 250+ times while not in range of the car, the key won't work the next time you are in range?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Here's a question that's relevant....What if one has both keys to the car inside the house and the car is "on vacation" in the garage for the winter for a few months? (I know , try it and let you guys know how it worked):)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
At my dealership (can't speak for others) IF one of your keys stops working (AND the only reason is the car forgot it exists) we will do a reprogram for free (during the warranty period)?

The pain is you have to bring ALL the keys for that car in AND it takes about an hour?

I suggest to my clients that they rotate the keys about once a MONTH (that way if they forget and only do it once every three months it shouldn't be any issue)?

I know of 3 clients that have had the car forget that a particular key works. In each case, the owner put one key away (drawer, hook, etc) and only used one key and after 6-8 months they tried to use the "spare" key and it wouldn't work?
I rotate mine about every 6 months and have had NO problems in 6 years :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts