Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you are familiar with my oldest son Matt, he was the maniac driving to the Dells in the Black Grand Prix taking videos, and has attended numerous events with me, done a ton of videos and stuff.

Well yesterday he was having issues with his Grand Prix which he has owned for 9 years now, This morning I went out to look at it and it would start, then kill. I could feather the gas and get it to run up around 3K rpm. I figured it was bad gas (?) so I went down to the gas station with the smart to fill the gas can. When I returned (about 20 min) I saw a number of trucks blocking the street. On closer inspection, Matt's car was ON FIRE!!!

I was able to park down the street and run inside to grab an extinguisher to try to quench the flames. It was far enough along to melt the hood release cable so the best I could do was to shoot in through the now melted wheel well. with about 1/2 the extinguisher emptied, the Fire Department arrived, spent 20 min trying to pry the hood open. and finally got it put out.

The whole top of the motor is gone, and the wiring is mostly the copper remains. Afraid it will be a total write off as the book value is only around 4K.

Nobody was hurt, (except I burned a finger) and no big explosion. but Matt is obviously sad about loosing his first car he paid for with 5 years of car payments. Luckily it was fully insured. Waiting to see the results.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152653996907942&set=pcb.10152653997137942&type=1
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1619514_10152653996982942_1560682994_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1623724_10152653997082942_2040561438_n.jpg
:crying:

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, I take it you didn't run up the street with the gas can in hand ??? >:D
No, and couldn't find the marshmallows either!!

Saaaay... there is a nice little 2008 bumble bee for sale at a dealer on the way to work....

Got a bit burned from melting plastic as I was trying to put it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last I checked, they had paid reservations for over 10,000 cars.... He is thinking maybe a Jeep Cherokee or ??

·
17,350 Posts
I was closely following the Aptera project, when boom, it just disappeared. Maybe the Elio guys will actually get lucky and actually get to market with the vehicle...hopefully. :)

·
17,350 Posts
Indeed, the Elio is very cool.

I don't have very much hope for the Aptera though. Nothing has been said about the company that bought them after initial reports. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Elio has made big strides in the last few months, they got their plant in Shreveport (old GM plant) and have been making progress with changing the helmet laws in just about every state so you won't have to wear a helmet in an Elio, even though they are calling them a motorcycle, and you won't need a motorcycle endorsement.

They are also in the final phases of working out a unique payment plan using a pay as you drive, or when you fill up. When you fill the tank, you get charged 3 times the price of the fuel, which comes directly off what you owe on the car. so basically you are driving a car that gets 1/3 the mpg and the car is free.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The Aptera started out cool, and got bogged down in a huge [unnecessary] re-design. IMO, it was way more sophisticated looking than the EElio Motors effort. Unfortunately, they burned through TONS of cash! They also had tons of pre-orders, so a lot of pre-orders doesn't necessarily mean Elio will amount to anything. Only time will tell whether they will be something or nothing, but it still looks a little too good to be true! I keep thinking Corbin Sparrow! Well, at least it's not electric, so maybe it has a chance (EVs IMO are just to expensive to produce).

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The Aptera started out cool, and got bogged down in a huge [unnecessary] re-design. IMO, it was way more sophisticated looking than the EElio Motors effort. Unfortunately, they burned through TONS of cash! They also had tons of pre-orders, so a lot of pre-orders doesn't necessarily mean Elio will amount to anything. Only time will tell whether they will be something or nothing, but it still looks a little too good to be true! I keep thinking Corbin Sparrow! Well, at least it's not electric, so maybe it has a chance (EVs IMO are just to expensive to produce).
Kenny, not to highjack this thread, but empty your inbox. Your private message box is full. Can't message you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts