Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stuck in a snowbank this morning, and got to thinking that it would have been a lot easier to get out if not for the open differential. Anyone know of any LSD that will fit in the gearbox? Even one of those crappy Phantom Grips would probably be good enough for a stock 451.

·
Super Moderator
28,306 Posts
As long as the ESP is engaged, you're stuck (literally.) Add something to the stock diff - I doubt it. You can try the "remove fuse 11" solution which should work. :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
kinda wondering why you'd be driving in a snowbank to begin with. haha

all joking aside.... you also have to remember that on top of ESP, the Smart has the ability to basically limit the amount of torque applied to the wheels in order to try to get out of a slippery situation. I'm guessing that if you were stuck.... you were stuck, and a different differential wouldn't have been of much use either.

·
Registered
793 Posts
the ESP does the same as a LSD in that situation by applying that individual wheel's brake... Why would you use the emergency brake??? thats for cars that dont have ESP.. well and are rear wheel drive. Now disconnecting #11 will just worsen the effect! I think that your issue might have been more tread related or simply that there is a physical limit to our smarties in snow... that is unless you go with snow tracks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did pull #11 for the ride back home and it helped a bit. Still, it would be nice to have two wheels for traction versus one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
the ESP does the same as a LSD in that situation by applying that individual wheel's brake... Why would you use the emergency brake??? thats for cars that dont have ESP.. well and are rear wheel drive. Now disconnecting #11 will just worsen the effect! I think that your issue might have been more tread related or simply that there is a physical limit to our smarties in snow... that is unless you go with snow tracks!
hi i have snow tracks how can i up grade to possy
thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I would agree a mechanical limited slip dif would be a nice upgrade! I drive with the esp/abs off and when you trying to drift around a corner or cut a cookie the inside tire spins up and the car will kick the gearbox out of gear. It really sucks... Does anyone know how to disconnect that safety feature? Also if you wip the car around fast enough the car thinks it’s been in an accident and will turn the engine off. Does anyone know how to turn that feature off as well? Nothing like trying to have fun when the car kicks it’s self out of gear and turns its self off! Lol And no I don’t have the wrong car, just trying to tune this one to me needs just like any other vehicle. 🤠

·
17,360 Posts
Yes, I would agree a mechanical limited slip dif would be a nice upgrade! I drive with the esp/abs off and when you trying to drift around a corner or cut a cookie the inside tire spins up and the car will kick the gearbox out of gear. It really sucks... Does anyone know how to disconnect that safety feature? Also if you wip the car around fast enough the car thinks it’s been in an accident and will turn the engine off. Does anyone know how to turn that feature off as well? Nothing like trying to have fun when the car kicks it’s self out of gear and turns its self off! Lol And no I don’t have the wrong car, just trying to tune this one to me needs just like any other vehicle. 🤠
What in the world are you doing that kicks the car out of gear and shuts the engine off? :D I've literally jumped my smart with actual airtime and I regularly offroad mine without any of those problems. >:D 0:)

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
4” of snow. I get stuck backing out of the driveway, curve to street. Neighbors laugh at me.

Off roading with a smart car. Not enough ground clearance. 20 of us found that out on a event to Madison county Iowa. It’s a freakin city car! Couldn’t tell you how many of us bottom out, small rocks, in the back woods. One Brabus owner bent one of his front wheels. Leave off roading to a Jeep. It’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand.

·
17,360 Posts
It's a lot more capable than you give it credit for. My 451 is my main offroader and rally car. Our cars have belly pans, so impacts with small rocks aren't a problem. You also won't bottom out as often if you use the car's tiny track and wheelbase to your advantage. My smart sits lower than most due to my towing hitch and most of the time even it doesn't take a hit. A good set of tyres will make short work of 4 inches of snow. I've never been stuck in snow that shallow. There's a video of me somewhere literally driving down a rock face. No scrapes, no bottoming out. :D

Brabus wheels are just barely good for road use, let alone being in the wilderness. I have 15" Genius wheels wrapped in the thickest rubber I can fit for my current ride height. I hope to get a set of steel rears and mount rally tyres in time for the next rally.

Car just got its rally livery and I picked up MTs for the truck that now accompanies it offroad (4x4 Ford Ranger).

·
Registered
15 Posts
What in the world are you doing that kicks the car out of gear and shuts the engine off? :D I've literally jumped my smart with actual airtime and I regularly offroad mine without any of those problems. >:D 0:)
Well, 😂 maybe the best way to experience it yourself is turn off the esp/abs and drive 30mph ish and give the steering wheel a quick flick as you hank on the e-break (then release) as you mash the gas pedal. If the car rotated too quickly the car thinks you were in a crash and shut off, if it doesn’t shut of and you get single wheel spin up the car kicks it’s self out of gear ( when I assume the percentage difference between the two drive wheels meets a certain criteria) and if you have enough talent you can do both at the same time! Lol

·
17,360 Posts
When I offroad I never use esp or abs. I used to do the button trick, though now my rusted out reluctor rings make every drive a drive without those systems. Gotta fix those before winter! :eek:

I've flicked this thing so hard I've had it on two wheels. I can turn it around in a heartbeat without problems, but I don't use the handbrake (no need to on dirt/mud). I've also had it at the kind of angles that cause airbag deployments in newer trucks. Maybe something about the handbrake followed by immediate application of throttle and rapid direction change freaks the computers out.

Funny you can do this without problems:

But a handbrake turn is just too much? :D Next time I'm in a mud pit I'll remember to give the handbrake a good yank as a test.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's some impressive picture...:D
"Ladies and Gentlemen: fasten your seat belts, and make sure that your tray tables are in the upright position..."

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is a pretty impressive picture! 😂 remind me not to buy any of your cars! Lol

I’m pretty sure it is the “YAW” rotation equation that is part of what I’m experiencing where smart flight it isn’t. And also it is more Prevalent The faster you go and harder the vehicle rotation. The harder it snaps. You can have fun all day long sliding around but once the pace picks up other anomalies become a factor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts