Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t drive my car that much, maybe 100 miles a month, sometimes I have to put the battery charger on the battery because it’s dead, Today I cracked up my car to take it down the road to visit a friend, everything was fine when I got to his house, but when I got back in the car to go home the car went into limp mode. This is the first time it’s happened, and I really haven’t done a research on it in this site so I really didn’t know what was going on, fortunately I was in a neighborhood and not on the highway so I put the car in park and shut it off and let it sit for a minute and then started it, now everything is running great but it seems like it was in the computer.

·
Super Moderator
17,698 Posts
Dead batteries are not fond of being revived multiple times. Sulfation occurs at accelerated rates when batteries die. Unless that battery is new, I'm willing to bet that's the cause of your issues.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I agree with the two answers given.

I won't let a car sit longer than a few days (3-4) before I put some sort of charger/maintainer on the battery. We're lucky we have a secure driveway where I can leave a charger connected. For however long until next use...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dead batteries are not fond of being revived multiple times. Sulfation occurs at accelerated rates when batteries die. Unless that battery is new, I'm willing to bet that's the cause of your issues.
So if it happens again, I guess I’ll get a new battery, thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you go into limp mode, usually the engine management light operates and/or a fault code occurs telling you of the fault by reading it with an OBII reader plugged into the diagnostic socket. Even though a new battery seems to be your answer, Checking with an OBII reader for a fault code should be done, just in case something else triggered the limp mode.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go into limp mode, usually the engine management light operates and/or a fault code occurs telling you of the fault by reading it with an OBII reader plugged into the diagnostic socket. Even though a new battery seems to be your answer, Checking with an OBII reader for a fault code should be done, just in case something else triggered the limp mode.
I took my Smartcar out today to go get some parts for my oven, about a mile from my house I noticed a car struggling to pick up speed, I had it in manual mode and 5th gear, All of a sudden it drops down to third gear and started running rough so I pulled over and shut the car off. After that the smart did great, I guess I’ll definitely check into a battery hopefully I can find one locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts