Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A company called Smart lpg located in London sells new and used Smart cars converted to run on LPG fuel.

There are some 4 million vehicles in Europe fuelled by (LPG) liquefied petroleum gas.

Some 140,000 of these are on roads in Great Britain, they have 1400 re-fuelling stations in the country. Check out their video. CLICK HERE They claim the infrastructure is in place to make a smart liquefied petroleum gas car a realistic choice for many.

·
Registered
45 Posts
question is, where is the LPG tank? don't they take up like twice as much space?
I drove an LPG Peugeot 605 in Ireland, it kept the gas tank as the car I think started on gas the swtiched to LPG???
also, should you not find an LPG station you can run on gas. Is this true with the LPG SMART?
Dan

·
Registered
605 Posts
question is, where is the LPG tank? don't they take up like twice as much space?
I drove an LPG Peugeot 605 in Ireland, it kept the gas tank as the car I think started on gas the swtiched to LPG???
also, should you not find an LPG station you can run on gas. Is this true with the LPG SMART?
Dan
Go to the third link (Click here) in the original post & watch the CNN u-tube video. It pretty much explains thw whole thing & shows where the tanks are.

·
Registered
875 Posts
LPG filling stations are widely available in many EU countries. It's too bad we are not adopting this dual fuel vehicles in the US at the same rate other countries do.
Make Utah the exception to that, they have a good network of CNG stations.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
When I was working, we had a dual fuel F-350 accident response truck; switching from gas to propane on the road was like throwing an anchor out the back, not to mention much less fuel economy. :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
We had LPG fueled delivery trucks at local potato chip company MikeSells in the late 70's early 80's. Fuel was super cheap, trucks ran ok, 'til winter........... good luck with that. Not to mention had one catch fire at the carburetor while running on LPG. Consider that........... this truck had a propane tank about 5 foot long hung under the body on the drivers side. And it's on fire........

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Interesting old thread worth bumping back up.
Would be nice to have the option to shop for LPG versions of Kawasaki or Suzuki motorcycles. Short distance vehicle+ plenty of Uhaul filling stations around town. Am also OK with LPG cylinders like in forklifts.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Now if you could simply mount a gas grill bottle on the back of a smart, you could get an exchange at Home Depot or Lowes most anywhere in the country. Yeah, those are not strong enough in accidents. A lift truck bottle would be stronger.

·
Registered
793 Posts
most taxis in Colombia's capital run on the dual fuel LPG and gasoline. The drivers love it due to the much cheaper running costs and the government subsidy makes the conversion literally free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts