Smart Car of America Forum banner

Local meets?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  smartie15 
#1 ·
As a new smart owner this year, I have periodically checked this site for local activity. I do not see much. Are smart owners in the richmond area not active? Are there any meets or social events in the works. To date, I have only seen a few other smarts. Curious if the "fad" is done...

Thanks for any feedback.

#2 ·
Seems like most clubs on anything these days have their ups and downs on activities. Usually the same few people do all the work on events and eventually get burned out. If someone else doesn't step up, things don't happen.

It doesn't take much to organize an event, it doesn't have to be a grand 'over the top' affair, just a simple everyone meet at the local xxx parking lot at a set time, we drive to some destination and get a rootbeer float, then drive back. A simple few hour trip can be the most fun ever! It just takes someone to draw a line in the sand and publish it.

Or maybe as simple as meet at Burger King at 7PM, drive to the local drive-in theater and catch a movie..If no one shows, you still can see the movie, get the rootbeer float, or whatever. The point is you can make something happen.

Maybe you will make a bunch of friends that live close by and have a good time.

You could get extravagant and set up a fancy dinner at some restaurant, or a show somewhere and mess with reservations, advanced ticket sales, etc. but why not start with a simple road trip and go from there.

The Midwest Rally started out as a bunch of smart owners that would get together for a spring drive around the lakes in Minneapolis and have a burger. Then progressed to a fall drive to see the leaves colors... then moved to a weekend event. Start small and see how it goes first. set up a route from point A to point B with a stop or 2 along the way so people can get back together if they get seperated by traffic or stop lights, etc. Or use cheap FRS radios to keep in touch. just have a good time.

#5 ·
Printed the info and will look forward to more details from you. In meantime will check my calendar and talk the man into it! :) Plan to meet up in Smithfield this weekend - think you said you will be volunteering at VLM. I volunteer the 2nd Saturday of each month opening the trail with the keepers. Maybe I will catch you there sometime!

Send along additional details for the June 13th event when you hash them out. Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.