Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a number of you have installed a gps/radio/whatever receiver in your cars. I'm installing an Alpine iXL-007 and need a place for the gps antenna. Is there easy passage from the front though the firewall to the radio area? Is the dash top over the radio plastic? If so maybe just placing the antenna on top of the unit itself will work? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
What year is your car? If it's pre-2011 you can put the antenna under the plastic radio cover, near where the instrument pods are. Not an option on the later cars. There may be a grommet that would let you place it forward, under the service flap and run the wire into the radio..... I took the easy way and just stuck it to the dash, behind the pods, and ran the wire over to the left side and down under the dash to connect to the radio. :)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your car? If it's pre-2011 you can put the antenna under the plastic radio cover, near where the instrument pods are. Not an option on the later cars. There may be a grommet that would let you place it forward, under the service flap and run the wire into the radio..... I took the easy way and just stuck it to the dash, behind the pods, and ran the wire over to the left side and down under the dash to connect to the radio. :)
Thanks, It's a 14 BoConcept. The Alpine is quite small and L shaped due to the fact it doesn't have a CD player. I wonder if the signal would go through the dash covering about the radio itself. The Alpine doesn't have a gps itself but uses the one in the iPhone. The supplied antenna is to help with the connection due to the fact the iPhone would just be in a pocket (wireless CarPlay).

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ran the cable for mine and put it just in front of the tachometer pod. It gets great reception and doesn’t look out of place.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There is an opening above where the radio mounts. For a 451, pull the button bank out, remove the screw that holds in the plastic radio surround, then you should be able to route the GPS antenna connector from the top.

You will need to loosen the pods up slightly for the cable clearance, bits it’s really not noticeable.

One caution: the vent air directional control runs behind the radio. If you pop the connector out of the back of rotary control control, it will pop back in, but only goes on one way. If it comes out while doing the installation, it can be a pain to put it back in. Do yourself a favor and check it before putting everything back together to save yourself some frustration.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is an opening above where the radio mounts. For a 451, pull the button bank out, remove the screw that holds in the plastic radio surround, then you should be able to route the GPS antenna connector from the top.

You will need to loosen the pods up slightly for the cable clearance, bits it’s really not noticeable.

One caution: the vent air directional control runs behind the radio. If you pop the connector out of the back of rotary control control, it will pop back in, but only goes on one way. If it comes out while doing the installation, it can be a pain to put it back in. Do yourself a favor and check it before putting everything back together to save yourself some frustration.

Thanks for the info. I think that is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out a decent place to put the GPS antenna in my 453. Thought about trying to route it through the front and under the hood somewhere, but the only grommets i see have basically NO give to allow me to do so, and i don't really feel like poking a hole through the grommet and risking a leak somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
How about on or in the dash forward of the headunit. (I installed one on my Scion iQ and that is the Toyota/Scion recommended location).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts