Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is borrowing my '08 for commuting to school, since I'm not using it anyway.
The car was re-keyed when it was new, but the doors were never changed to fit the ignition.
Now, I don't know if the fob battery is dead, or the car battery. But if it's the car battery, how can I get into the car?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
AAA has a lockout service.

If you don't have them, try a locksmith?

if you can insert a long thin strong wire between the window and the door, you can either push the unlock button? (won't help if car battery is dead)
OR hook the inside door handle, they always open (from the inside) even when locked?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Change the easy one first.. Key Fob, then go from there. You might be able to tie into the electrical system under the hood to give the car a 'jump start' to make the locks work. otherwise try getting to the battery terminal under the car to give it a boost.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved for now. We changed the fob battery, no go. So my friend called campus police, and he broke in with a jimmy bar thing. THEN the fob worked... Car started fine! Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have had the fob battery lose contacts with the battery, replaced the battery and still get the 9 flashes.. I bent the contacts for the battery and that took care of the problem.

Glad you got it working! might be time for a new door lock....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts