Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car sat covered 45 days in snow. very cold weather, down to 23 below zero.

Key will not even click the locks. Have emergency blank and can feel it pull the cable. Still no click.

Does the manual key just pull an electric switch to unlock ? Or does it (Hopefully) mechanically pull the lock release and mine is just frozen.

Under the Bonnet is there a main fuse where I might attach a 12 volt source ? Batt must be killed down to zero volts.

I know this problem has been faced before and hope I can come up with a solution short of breaking out a window. Thanks all. A2Jack

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J. That's good news. :)

Now if I can get some heat inside that door panel I might beat it, as it could be ice in there. Temps have gone up to 30f today and will hit higher Fri with warm rain. Thanks. A2Jack

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you can not get the door open you may have to slide under the car and connect a charger to the main terminal on the starter. I would not jump start it but charge it at a very slow rate to get some heat in the battery. If the battery is frozen and you try to jump start the car the battery may suffer a spontaneous self-disassembly. It may be junk already if it froze.

·
17,342 Posts
Looking at the fact that getting service in Canada is 1/3 of the cost of getting service in the USA, maybe getting spare keys is also cheaper in other countries.

Smart USA has to turn a profit somehow. If they can't sell you a car, they'll drain your wallet for parts and maintenance. :D

Every time I try to get work done on my car, they always say my warranty expired at 24k...that is, until I show them my warranty manual.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
40 last night and still no unlock. More arctic air to come this week so I will cover it back up and wait for spring. :| It feels like cable just won't pull it far enough back to release lock and Batt is shot anyway.

RW's solution is one none of us have thought of. Using the path from the starter to the battery.

Is the solenoid on or part of the Smart starter ? Do we remove belly panels to get to it ?

Anyone got a link to starter pix? Thanks A2Jack

·
Registered
738 Posts
Happend to my smart last week. Ran the battery out due to the dome light being on over the weekend. Took the keyhole cover off, and unlocked the door with the key. Tried the horn; no sound. Battery was 10 months old. After 2 hours on the charger, it started and ran. So, looks like the manual way to open the door is non-electrical in nature.

PS: Try a hairdryer on the door. It worked on my mobile home pipes :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wahi. OK on the pipes. Hit 20 below here and home washer pipe froze and burst. :eek: Found it quick, no damage.

I found Rfernatt's post and pix on starter replacement, but still can't quite visualize it's location under the the car. Any one got pix of starter in its natural habitat ? Can I get to that solenoid batt terminal from under there ? A2Jack.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I dont think so

If you can not get the door open you may have to slide under the car and connect a charger to the main terminal on the starter. I would not jump start it but charge it at a very slow rate to get some heat in the battery. If the battery is frozen and you try to jump start the car the battery may suffer a spontaneous self-disassembly. It may be junk already if it froze.
If the smart is like most other cars connecting power to the starter positive terminal will only crank up the starter. You would need to get to the battery side of the started solenoid. I guess I need to poke around my car a lot more than I have so I can not tell you where this solenoid is located. Best bet is to do just as suggested but not off the started positive. Maybe under the hood there is someplace a hot wire runs to a fuse box that can be used. If it were me who has worked on a small amount of electronics I would even pull a fuse from under the hood (think there is a fuse box there) and run a small jumper wire to the battery side of the fuse plug and ground to the frame someplace. Should not take much power to un lock the doors but I would pretty much un lock that way then pull the jumper wire then open the car up. If you don't know what your doing this is not suggested I might add.

Edit. It looks like the top terminal may be a hot for the battery if the starter solenoid is actually connected to the starter. That would make this easy to do! My ford the starter solenoid/relay is bolted to the fender on the passenger side and the starter is buried down somewhere.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Still no luck using the key to unlock the door? :)
surely the key should open it -- IF you can get it un-thawed. I made the mistake of washing a car once before a freeze came through. Then the next morning I could not get the doors open! I had to use a blowdryer to melt the lock and warm the handle mechanism -- last time I made that mistake!:D

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Wonderful . . .
I'm so glad that I'll be at work here in Michigan. I wouldn't want to be at home in Florida to miss it.:crying:
<sarcasm>

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Battery appears to be making a come-back. Removed Neg cable, then put a Resistor in series with Bat charger for first warm up (Per RW). It delivered 2 amp charge rate for 2 hours.

Then hooked charger direct. Draw increased from 5A at start to almost 8A over three more hours. ( Charger is automatic shut off, deep cycle unit, an oldie but goodie, Schumacher ss 51a)

Will do a day long charge today, hook the batt back up, and see what I have. Worst case I can get a start and have NAPA install a new batt. A2Jack

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
My smart's battery was dead when we went down to Texas to bring her home 10 days ago. Jim pried out the lock cover and got it open with the key. Took the battery out and charged it for a couple hours. It then started with no problem and has stayed charged. It hadn't been started for 8 weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts