Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else do a long commute and notice any effect on the battery? Started a summer job that has me doing a 140-150 mile a day commute. This means I'm charging to 100% overnight and then running down sometimes below 5% by the time I get to work. There I charge again up to 100% or lately only 95% because of the high summer temps. Then on the way home usually I need to stop and charge for 1 hour or so to get the extra 10-15 miles to make it home. I usually let it sit at home with under 5% charge until 11pm when the rates drop. But sometimes it's so low it beeps at me and insists I plug it in. Lately though it will refuse to take a charge for a few hours unless I start and stop the car a few times. No error message appears it just acts like it's not connected. It acts the same on both the L1 and L2 chargers in my garage. Eventually it will take a charge again. I know these full charges and deep discharges multiple times a day are not good but it's just for a few months. Curious if anyone else has extreme use experience?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have no extreme use experience, but there was an article regarding the exact battery used in the smart and it showed that it was capable of 8000 to 9000 discharges with minimal degradation. I've actually found that repeated heavier or use increases the measured capacity of the battery pack.

So I think you will be okay and should suffer very minimal, if any, long term effects.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts