Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering taking a late May vacation from Ohio to Tucson, Arizona and back in my 2013 Passion Cabriolet. I just love driving it locally and with gas prices being what they are, and a top down vacation experience too boot, it seems like a good idea. I talked to my salesman about it and he told me he drove his to Denver and back at 80 mph and got 53 mpg, and loved it. My Smart has Cruise for highway driving. What do you all think?..:nerd:

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
This city car loves road trips! You may want to consider eliminating the front/rear wheel/tire stagger and make all four corners equal, improves the ride and front end tracking.

Cruise control only makes a "top back" smart road trip even better . . . :burnout:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I bet I got 53 MPG on my descent from Pikes Peak's summit last summer, LOL.

Columbus, Ohio to Tucson and back ... dang close to a 4,000 mile trip. Man, I envy you. I'm so hungry for a good road trip, LOL. Although I doubt I'd have the top back in the desert SW in May. To each their own, but too hot for me.

I made the round trip to Denver from the Florida Panhandle last Summer for the Nationals. Not quite as far as your journey. Loved it, even though my mileage wasn't in the 50s. I'm doing exceptionally well when I peek into the 40s. Still, not too shabby IMO.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I got 52.74 mpg. on the way to Denver. This occurred on one of the hottest days we experienced. The outside temperature was 112 deg. F & we were driving along at 70 mph. with the A/C on. Other members in our caravan reported similar mileage results. Our coolent temps. were hovering around 220 deg. & everyone was keeping a sharp eye on their scan & Ultra gauges. This was in the CA & NV desert.
The smart is a great car to take on a long trip. I find that I am much more alert and the fatigue factor is averted due to the fact that you are more engaged in your driving. We had no mechanical issues whatsoever going both directions. One member suffered a broken windshield and another had a side repeater light fall out. A new lamp assy. was acquired in Denver & the windshield was replaced when the member returned home. My 08 Passion with the MDC cruise is my favorite long distance car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts