Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on the newby forum but it might be better on this general forum. I have a 2013 Passion Cabriolet Red/Silver with Cruise, Surround Sound, Brabus Wheels that I just love driving locally. I did the 36 month lease @10,000 miles per year. It was a year old in January and now in March it still has less than 5000 miles, far under my allowed amount. So I have a vacation planned for the last week of May from Ohio to Tucson, Arizona in Three average 575 mile legs each way with a week in Tucson. Now, I am thinking of driving my Smart, one just for the gas savings over my 2012 Impala, but also for the convertible top. I think that would be a great way to see the country, and it does have Cruise Control. What do you all think? What can I expect for gas milage @ 70+ MPH? Am I crazy? Etc.:nerd:

·
Registered
271 Posts
What!! Ohio to where in a smart car? I think it would be horrible to drive anything but the smart car! We took our 13 convertible from here to Durango Colorado 1500 miles one way and it was a blast. That trip in two weeks for Denver Nationals we booked in over 4 thousand miles. We leased ours with the same terms as you spoke of. As of today we have had our car for one year and have clocked 12320 miles so we are a little over :-(. Pack light tho to let the top be able to open all the way up :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think that those who drive red convertibles and begin sentences with, So, are always suspected of speeding by the various highway patrol officers between Ohio and Arizona. When stopped, especially at your destination, be careful not to get pink underwear. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted a legitimate question about taking a trip in a Smart. I would like intelligent answers. Back when I owned a PT Cruiser and belonged to a fourm there were lame brains like you so I just quit...I hope for better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What!! Ohio to where in a smart car? I think it would be horrible to drive anything but the smart car! We took our 13 convertible from here to Durango Colorado 1500 miles one way and it was a blast. That trip in two weeks for Denver Nationals we booked in over 4 thousand miles. We leased ours with the same terms as you spoke of. As of today we have had our car for one year and have clocked 12320 miles so we are a little over :-(. Pack light tho to let the top be able to open all the way up :)
Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I regularly take my smart from the west side of Indiana to the east coast of Virginia ... 800 miles 1 way ... over the mountains ... 70+ mph..still average over 40 mpgs :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I answered in your other post. All for road trips and the smart is a worthy road trip car.

I think you're slightly underestimating your trip distance. Close enought though ... enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Apparently, some homophobes on here are still under the impression that the smart is a gay car. Red with the silver tridion to me is a really sharp color combination and more than likely will not have an affect on your choice of underwear color. :D
As for long trips, many of us on here have no problem whatsoever with driving long distances in our smarts.

Some of us do with any car we drive. I found that one of those wedge cushions with the hole cut out in it to take the pressure off of one's tail bone to be a life saver. I've always suffered with that issue and only after getting the smart did I get complete relief with that solution.
Enjoy your trip, and by all means enjoy that RED and Silver Cabrio. You will get many smiles per mile. By the way, the Brabus wheels look great.
B. B. Benz
Black Brabus Benz and yes mine is a Cabrio, too. Keep your rails lubricated on your cabrio and they will not rattle. If the top rattles, lube the rails. I also thought my top rattled but it turned out to be the fuel door rattling against the body. I fixed that with a couple of magnets. Smart offers a special sponge cleaner/lube to clean and lube the rails.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Really, it's not a great long-distance car compared to most, but if you need to rack up some miles, then I'd say hit the road! Take your time and hit some back roads!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I got 46.5 mpg on a ~240 mile round trip with half of the miles at highway 80 mph speeds and half on country roads.

I wouldn't worry about the mpg, it's still excellent at high speeds unless you live in windy areas or driving through poor windy conditions.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have driven my smart from Western, MA to Columbus, OH a half a dozen times (about 11 hours one way) and it does just fine. I got the worst mileage the car has ever returned for a tankful on one of those trips. It burns a lot of gas if you keep your foot into it. Even at that it did better than babying my Miata.

Your trip will be different depending on the car you take. Think about what gets you upset and what seems like fun to you and enjoy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, the trip is actually 1785 miles, or 595 per day. Each day will not be exactly equal but pretty close. I figured it at 65 MPH average. 1st day 8 hours Dayton,Ohio to Springfield, Mo. 2nd day 9 hours Springfield, Mo. to Amarillo, Tx. 3rd day 10 1/2 hours Amarillo, Tx. to Tucson. And just reverse it going home. Going to be fun I hope.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,224 Posts
Guys, I think the underwear comment had nothing to do with homophobia. I think RV was referring to Arizona and Sherrif Arpio (sp?) who makes his prisioners wear all pink undergarments so they won't steal them when they are released from jail. A lot of them also live in a tent city on the compound. This has all been covered on national news in the past.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts