Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me just say what a Great forum you guys have here. Im looking into buying my first smart and I am likely to be in the 2008-2009 model with about 80k-110k miles. Im familiar with old cars and aside from the usual suspects of brakes, tires, fluids, and belts, what services should have been done or replaced to ensure I am on the upside of the buying process?

I read about the auto tranny needing firmware updates(?). I did a quick search and didnt find a comprehensive list. If there is I apologize and would appreciate it greatly to direct me to it

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
TS. All the 08, 09 and a few of the 10's needed the upgrade. Also on the loaded passions and Cabs a bigger battery was installed.

As in building, where one measures twice and cuts once, a Smart buy requires one to study this forum twice, before buying once. A2Jack

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought my '08 smart last July, with 45,000 miles on it. I almost immediately had the transmission problem and had to get the software upgrade. Since then, no problems with it. I LOVE THIS CAR!

The only other biggish expenses I've had are the cost of a duplicate key and the 50K service.

God willin' and the crick don't rise, I'll keep this car forever.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First let me just say what a Great forum you guys have here. Im looking into buying my first smart and I am likely to be in the 2008-2009 model with about 80k-110k miles. Im familiar with old cars and aside from the usual suspects of brakes, tires, fluids, and belts, what services should have been done or replaced to ensure I am on the upside of the buying process?

I read about the auto tranny needing firmware updates(?). I did a quick search and didnt find a comprehensive list. If there is I apologize and would appreciate it greatly to direct me to it

Thanks again

I have an 08 for sale with ~6,200 miles... $6900

·
17,345 Posts
Ditto, and it looks like Finest took good care of that car. Such clean, much crisp. Wow :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses and the links - i will read through the pages this weekend. Thanks Brabus007 and jwight!

Question on the transmission and battery upgrade/update - were these recalls or warranty related? Or was it up to the owner?

@Finest - I cant PM you because of my post count. Can you PM me details and location? Thanks

·
17,345 Posts
Neither, it's a free upgrade courtesy of smartUSA!

The new programming unlocks a more refined shift program and additional functions.

The battery replacement allows the car to start better in the cold or after sitting for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neither, it's a free upgrade courtesy of smartUSA!

The new programming unlocks a more refined shift program and additional functions.

The battery replacement allows the car to start better in the cold or after sitting for a while.
Thanks Neo - ok so easily carfax should catch those

·
17,345 Posts
Perhaps. I'm not all too familiar with CarFax, so I can't say for sure.

But one thing is for sure though:

A 2008 is almost guaranteed to have a newer battery if it has any sort of normal miles on the odometer.

I doubt the car's computer could be fond of a six year old battery! :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for the responses and the links - i will read through the pages this weekend. Thanks Brabus007 and jwight!

Question on the transmission and battery upgrade/update - were these recalls or warranty related? Or was it up to the owner?

@Finest - I cant PM you because of my post count. Can you PM me details and location? Thanks

TopSpeed has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove TopSpeed from the recipient list and send the message again.

me neither :|

but here's a pic of it, and im in So Cal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts