Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda crazy question, but it is after all LA and I've had VW TDI mechanics come to my house for very reasonable prices and do timing belt services etc..

Anyone out there that is experiencedish at working on their own Smart, and maybe some others? Probably also someone with the software necessary to diagnose these things?

I have a transmission problem that I can't seem to resolve without more advanced computer diagnostics. I don't really want to pay to tow it to Beverly Hills Smart and then potentially tow it home if its going to be a big/expensive job.

Thanks!
Tim
Burbank

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
When I was working as a Bio-Med Technician working on Dialysis machines, when a system was working reasonably well, and I made a change or modification, and then it was junk... before going off on a troubleshooting tangent or giving up, it was usually wise to go back to the last change I made to see if everything was proper there!!!!!
Revisit the shifter motors and be sure you did not swap them side to side, etc. like Blue Deuce did. See other post for reference.
Signed, your fairy god mother. :D
p.s. take a deep breath, relax, recheck your work (revisit those shifter motors) before taking it to the HIGH RENT DISTRICT in BEVERLY HILLS!!!! You have much to lose.

There is a list of independent automotive repair shops on here somewhere, too.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f2/smart-car-service-repair-l-170/#post533
Interesting read as well as some suggested mechanics.
Being from the other end of the U.S. I do not know how close to Smart Madness you are, but they eat sleep and breathe smarts. I would tow my smart to them any day rather than Beverly Hills, even if they were next door.
There is a totally different mindset at those two facilities, and I have never been to either one. I have been a customer of Smart Madness and received telephone assistance from them when installing my Cruise control purchased from them.
I still would suggest you revisit the shifter motors. :D
If you do give up, be sure to advise them of what you did before it quit doing anything, so they will know where to begin to look. It would be unfortunate to replace a $1000.00 assembly that only needed the motors reversed, etc. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts